Facebook Scam for Yeti Cooler and Dispute Declined

jmachockey9
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made a purchase on an add I saw on Facebook where I bought a Yeti cooler for a "great deal," and I used PayPal for my payment method. Well, it looks like I was scammed. I received bogus tracking details, where they supposedly shipped and delivered to an office (I gave my home address, as I don't have an office). I submitted a dispute but was denied due to the seller supposedly saying it was delivered. I am extremely frustrated, not only with myself, but also at the fact I cannot get my money back and it feels like I don't have any other options. The seller is not responding and I cannot speak to a representative from PayPal. I would think that PayPal would help their customers with any issues from a scam/fraud perspective.

Does anyone know if I have any other options? Is there a way to appeal the decision and get help with this? I appreciate any help and support with this!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jmachockey9 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jmachockey9 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

scanning71
Contributor
Contributor
It is PayPal responsibility to verify your actual ship to address corresponds the delivery address. They do not do this automatically on a claim, but they should. USPS stated this to me directly after PayPal rep told me otherwise. When I informed PayPal on follow up they escalated and contacted USPS themselves. Claim was reversed in my favor.
Login to Me Too

LynnieD333
New Community Member
I had this same issue and wasn’t able to get my money back either. I am so frustrated. I think the only option is to stop using PayPal. They are unwilling to provide any buyer protection.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LynnieD333 

Paypal have to provide buyer protection + seller protection as both are their customers.

Therefore its impossible for them to give 100% protection to both parties.

So you have some buyer and some seller protection and then its up to you to risk assess your own transactions based on the protection available.

Avoid scam China websites or Social Media ads.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

scanning71
Contributor
Contributor
Open you claim and get your refund. Notify PayPal that they need to contact Shipping (USPS or other) and verify the address that the item was delivered was not your address. You can even contact USPS or other to confirm it was not your address but they will not tell you the actual address. Also have them confirm weight of package. 2lbs Is not a Yeti cooler. Best of luck!
Login to Me Too

Mary3211
Contributor
Contributor
This platform looks like a scam.
Login to Me Too

ezmarelda
Contributor
Contributor

I, too was scammed by a Facebook Yeti seller. I filed a complaint with Paypay, and they said the seller had proof of delivery. I received no cooler, and my Paypay complaint was rejected.

Sue

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ezmarelda 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.