Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

JamieW1976
New Community Member

Dear [email address] 

This Receipt is to confirm you about your payment of $148.25 AUD to<removed>
We suspect that someone is using your account without your knowledge. We limit it for your protection and we noticed some changes in your account that require further review. During this time, you may not have access to certain account activity.

Open PDF File to manage your PayPal Account !

Attachment

#8712793.pdf

896.3kb

Login to Me Too

Dpineda107
Contributor
Contributor

I want to if these email is fake because I think they have committed fraud to me and another person that was trying to send me money on these email <removed>

Login to Me Too

Denver4050
Contributor
Contributor
I've sent this info to PayPal's Legal Department...in addition to UPS and my credit card company.
Thanks to both of you with similar issues.  Please take the steps necessary to dispute your charges with your credit card company.  I have asked UPS to look into this matter since Dolltu or Bao Xinke (the name on my credit card regarding this sale) is continuing these actions. Below is what I sent to PayPal, UPS and will provide to the San Antonio Texas Attorney General's Office.  You should send copies of your information to all of them as well.  If PayPal rejects this dispute, I will continue to provide the backup.  Locking me out is NOT an option.  Please continue to POST THIS ISSUE and keep copies of your correspondence until PayPal accepts responsibility for their assistance with this fraud/scam.

Sent to UPS (copied to PayPal, my credit card company)...Apparently UPS has been an UNSUSPECTING partner in this scam.  As you will see from the information below, a company known at Dolltu or Bao Xinke is FRAUDULENTLY providing UPS tracking numbers to their orders.  The UPS tracking numbers have NO RELATION to the customer’s order or the customer’s address.  THEY ARE USING AMAZON TRACKING NUMBERS (see below).  UPS has verified this is occurring as the tracking numbers provided are not related to my name or my address.  This is FRAUD and unfortunately UPS has become an unwilling (I hope) participant.  You will notice from the message below, I am not the only victim of this fraudulent action. I hope you will take action against this company and their illegal activities.  I have notified PayPal and my credit card company about this issue and will be in contact with the Attorney General’s Office in San Antonio.  Please advise what you find out.  Thank you!

Please keep documenting your information...
I have just sent this email to PayPal's Communications/Media Department (copying their customer service) and to the Fraud Department at UPS.  Please continue to send documentation to these individuals and anyone else you can find on line.  I also plan to file a document with the Attorney General's office in San Antonio and am filing a report with the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) - see their website.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Potential FRAUDULENT activities being supported by PayPal with UPS as an unsuspecting partner in the scam.
Date: May 16, 2020 at 9:44:13 PM MDT
<Removed>
As a part of your communications department, you should be aware of this FRAUDULENT activity being supported by your company’s actions.
I would appreciate a response and I think the other customers who were SCAMMED should be contacted with an apology and a refund.  If your company rejects the claims due to the UPS documentation (which is false), I will lead the charge for an investigation and I’m pretty sure UPS will jump on this one with us!  I’ve contacted their Legal Department. Please respond to my issue.
Re: People at Pay Pal are allowing this to go on and not protect us. Why?

Login to Me Too

ChiMom2
Contributor
Contributor
Confirm your account PayPal SECURITY ALERT We had evidence that an unauthorized device was trying to access your Paypal account. We Have Temporarily Suspended Your Account As Soon As Possible To Protect Your Informations Against Possible Misuse With Immediate effect. Therefore we need your cooperation that we can offer you a secure service.. What do I need to do? Please login at account and verify your account information so that you can continue to use your account. LOG IN
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A2E5EDD3-FD97-45B4-B4B4-DB52F309ADD4.png

where can I forward this fraudulent spam email?  I’m betting that people will fall for it. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChiMom2 

Read this and see if it fits.

May well be a spoof so NEVER USE ANY LINK in that email.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Nikki801
Contributor
Contributor
Hello I’ve had someone intercom an item I have for sale on Gumtree , they said they sent money into my PayPal account and then I receive an email from PayPal ? Saying the money is on hold until I post the item then I have to scan a picture of the tracking number to PayPal then the funds will be released , I’ve never had this before , so it is legit ?
Login to Me Too

peekoo70
Contributor
Contributor

is this safety or will i loose my money 350e

Welcome to PayPal

You received a payment
Transaction ID: U- Z92GWT3ZH44AZ

Dear Petri <removed>,

You`ve received a payment of €1,100.00 EUR from find the details of this transaction below:

Transaction Summary;

Transaction status : Pending 

99% done... ( Read instructions below and follow the procedure to complete transaction )  

Payment To:   Payment For:Car

Payment details

Payment Number:U-Z92GWT3ZH44AZ
Merchandise Amount:   €750.00 EUR Freight Fee:
Total Amount:   €1,100.00 EUR
Payment Method<removed>

The above sum includes the freight fee for the Merchandise, which means the transaction has to be manually approved by us due to the sum of money involved, we have to take extra steps to protect both account users. For us to release this payment and credit your account you will have to send the Transport charges to the Transport company through Bitcoin Transfer and Email us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of the Bitcoin Transfer Transaction Receipt.

Note:  For security reasons We have made sure this method of payment cannot be reversed or cancelled by the sender to ensure that the total amount is fully credited into you account as soon as you complete the Bitcoin Money Transfer transfer and get back to us with the Receipt/Proof of transfer for verification and immediate remittance of the total amount in your account.   Below is a step by step guide on how to make the transfer:

1. Download https://bitcoin.com App on your Mobile Phone  2. Select the currency as BTC and €350.00 EUR as the amount 3. Click buy now to proceed to the next page  4. Copy and paste the pick up agent BTC Wallet Address   <removed> and click on buy now 5. Fill all necessary details requested on the next page and confirm the payment 6. You'll get a confirmation receipt. Attach and Email a scanned copy/picture of the receipt for the transfer after successfully completed.  <removed>

Transport Agency Address  Address: <removed>
 You can contact us any time if you have any question(s) regarding this transaction by replying directly to this Payment Confirmation Mail.
     €350.00 EUR

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adam1

Hi peekoo70, that's a scam email. PayPal will never instruct you to use another payment service to send money, in order to then receive a payment. If you complete that purchase, you won't receive any payments from your "buyer". 

Login to Me Too

Andy1100
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,User We appreciate the fact that you choose PayPal to send and receive payment for your transaction. While reviewing your account, we noticed that your recent activity involved the trading Or transfer of crypto currency bitcoin. Transaction Types : Auto Debit (Bank A/C) Crypto Currency : Bitcoin Bitcoin Amount : 0.00001230 Amount : 299$ USD Transaction Id : OD-36368584-798 If you think this transaction was fraudulent, you must contact our Anti-Fraud Department Helpline Number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] Thanks for using PayPal Corporate Headquarters <Removed>  California <Removed> Worldwide Operations <Removed>  Nebraska <Removed> Help [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] © 1999–2021

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.