Dispute

rennygs
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case on December 16th because a seller tried to scam me. The seller claimed to have "issues" with Paypal and asked me to send in another payment through Cashapp or WixPayments (programs without buyer protection). She even offered give a refund before I send back the money a second time. I didn't understand why she would go through the hassle of refunding just so I can pay a second time and I didn't feel comfortable, so I just asked for a refund. She refused refund entirely but at that point I saw on my bank account that I was already charged, and the payment went through. So, I didn't receive the order, and the seller took my money. 

I immediately opened a case on December 16th and Paypal said it'll come to a resolution by the 5th. However, the seller never responded to the case (still hasn't). I can tell by the fact that I never got an email about the seller responding nor does anything show up under the case review. The case still hasn't reached a conclusion yet. It keeps updating every few days but Paypal says the case resolution will be out on the 25th. 

I'm pretty sure I'll win, considering the situation and the seller's zero communication. But I don't know if I just call my bank and file a chargeback or wait it out and potentially have it delayed once more. I can understand how the past holiday season can make things busy but what I don't understand is how it will take 40 days for the case to be finalized when Paypal's policy is to resolve claims within 30 days. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rennygs 

If you start a chargeback then paypal will close your paypal claim and if your card company decline for whatever reason you would not be able to come back to paypal.

Best to wait it out with paypal. Yes they try and resolve claims within 30 days but for international or busy times it may be longer.

That is as long as you have escalated the dispute to a claim? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rennygs
Contributor
Contributor
Hey there thanks for replying! I didn’t know about how Paypal won’t help me anymore after I try a chargeback so I’ll definitely just wait. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if its a dispute or claim. I did not see any option available to escalate this to a claim and theres no “Escalate to Paypal” at the bottom. It only has “Cancel case” and “Change case type.” But since it hasn’t closed after 20 days I just thought it was moved as a claim on its own.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rennygs 

I hope you opened a dispute for non receipt of item and not one for unauthorised?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rennygs
Contributor
Contributor
Yep I opened a dispute for “Item not received.” Did Paypal moved it up from dispute to claim on their own for this dispute type?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rennygs 

If you opened the case on the 16th January then the 20 days is up on the 5th February and it will time out and auto close then if you don't ESCALATE TO A CLAIM.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rennygs
Contributor
Contributor
The website has nowhere to escalate to claim (which I saw was a common issue with others and I hope Paypal fixes it) and I called Customer Support to escalate it there. But it says that “it has been escalated to Paypal for review.” But everywhere else, Paypal keeps calling it a dispute and not a claim. What should I do? It also delayed the case resolution to January 31st 😞
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.