Dispute closed in seller's favour because seller never provided a return address?

GoldenSound
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought and received an item which arrived damaged, and so I began a dispute on paypal.

After several days, there was no response from the seller, so I escalated it to a case for paypal to review. After a few days, the case was updated saying that the seller had accepted the return, and that once they'd received it, I'd receive a refund. 
The issue is, they did not provide any address at all to return the item to!

Because of this, in the dispute I selected 'unable to provide tracking information' and in the note wrote:
"I was asked to return the item, however no return address has been provided. I am ready to dispatch the return but cannot do so without an address. Please could either the seller provide an address or issue a refund"

After a few days, paypal reviewed the case, then closed it in the seller's favour!
The return was accepted, but because they gave no address to send it to, it was not possible to do that. And when I asked for an address to be provided, Paypal just closes it in the seller's favour because I didn't have any tracking info!

What can I do about this? Can I appeal the dispute? This seems ridiculous. Apparently buyer protection can be completely evaded if the seller simply doesn't give their address.....

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GoldenSound 

You should have contacted paypal and requested the address, my saying no tracking available is saying you either haven't returned it OR you sent it without tracking and so were not covered. 

Contact customer services and appeal.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GoldenSound 

You should have contacted paypal and requested the address, my saying no tracking available is saying you either haven't returned it OR you sent it without tracking and so were not covered. 

Contact customer services and appeal.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GoldenSound
Contributor
Contributor

Contacted paypal today. They said that the address WAS provided, and that I cannot appeal the case decision.

This is despite the fact that as it turns out the address was buried in the middle of a large section of text in an email (which, the email directed me to go to the case details on the paypal site, which does NOT list the address. I'd only have seen the address if I read the next 5 plaintext paragraphs about returning the item in original condition/T&C type stuff, not clear at all), not listed on the case or transaction anywhere, and that even though I quite clearly stated that I did not know what the address was and could paypal please provide it they chose to ignore that and just close the case without seemingly even looking at it any further.

I'm very annoyed with how this has been handled and now have a £400 camera that does not work. Needless to say I'll be rethinking whether I continue to use paypal in the future if this is the sort of thing that is going to happen. Why on earth is the address not listed on the case details when the email has a massive blue button prominently directing you to go to the case details! And then why didn't paypal have any common sense when reading what I'd put?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.