Dispute, Hacked account, Foreign account setup

stella710
Contributor
Contributor

So I got a few issues with my account. 

I’ve been happily using my account which I created in the States almost 12 years ago. There were a few years I was not in the States and I switched to another local online payment service, but I still occasionally used it when I was traveling so I got many fond memories with this account. I used the account to receive money from eBay and transferred money to my friends from different countries, and my friend even laughed about my account name because I accidentally chose a business account and had a random username back then. I was super grateful that customer services helped me to change my account type to a personal account and they’ve been really patient and thoughtful. 

Last week, I purchased a french language learning app and I paid for the item on the 20th, but the transaction history showed I paid twice and they charged me on 14th as well which might sound ridiculous. So I filed a dispute with PayPal, and I got rejected another day, so I provided further info through the resolution center because I needed an explanation about these duplicate transactions. Today, I wanted to follow up on this case so I tried to login my account, but I realized there was no way for me to access it anymore because there was a 6 digit authentication code required which I never set up and I assume someone hacked my account and went to the security to set this verification. I got super worried and I created another account to access the community and here I am expressing my concerns regarding this dispute and security. 

A new problem arose.

I moved to France recently, the new account I created doesn't look like the one I used before. The french interface looks really different, and I need to talk with the local bank representative to activate my french PayPal account. I really like my old account, and I do not know if it is mandatory to switch to the local service if you live in another country. 

Can someone help me with this? And I think I should get the refund through my old account. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stella710 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however in some countries add a U.S bank account (not card) to your paypal account. This is because paypal is a U.S company.
If you have that option then it should show in your paypal wallet.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.