Did I get scammed?

DayZi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. So today I made a deal with one guy in which I sent him an in-game item and he had to send me money via PayPal. So he screen shared me the process during which he entered my PayPal address and then the asked amount of money and after he did that he clicked sent. After he "sent" me the money, it said that it can't be refunded in 24 hours or something like that. Now here's the problem. I do not see any "on hold" money in my activity and I did not get any email that he has sent me anything. According to him the money should come in 1 business day so tomorrow afternoon, but to me that sounds fishy because people have sent me the money before and it would usually come instantly + fees and never 1 or more days later, and I fear the money he "sent" is in fact refundable so I got scammed. The biggest problem is I didn't get any emails to notify me about anything. Can someone educate me on this and will I see my money tomorrow or should I prepare for him to remove and block me from everything? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

ctkkids
New Community Member

He may have used his bank account to fund, then it will take 1-3 business days.  Make sure people use credit cards or paypal balance to get money immediately/.  But even then payapl is holding money almost every transaction for us, it is ridiculous, we get donations and do not sell anything and they keep putting transactions  as good and services.  Yet always want a tracking or the money is not available for 30 days.

Login to Me Too

DayZi
Contributor
Contributor

He showed me his PayPal Wallet balance with more than enough funds so I'm not sure, I figured I should of got the money immediately if he sent it from there. I get it if it took the money from his card somehow I just find it suspicious that the time he "sent" me the money it didn't take anything from his wallet and I quite frankly didn't pay attention if he purposely misspelled my email so he sends it to a nonexistent person and refunds it. I'm just quite shocked if I got scammed somehow because I was looking into the screen share and everything seemed legit, I don't know. I asked him for proof to show me screenshots of the transaction history or recent activity and I got none so it just gets more and more suspicious and I'm quite confused and paranoid so I'm not sure what to do. If it was legit I would of got notified by PayPal that someone tried to send me money or something I guess? Idk I'm just freaking out a bit at this point especially because it's my first time selling in-game items for real cash.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DayZi 

If it was marked as an invoice then its probably a scam doing the rounds as its been sent by a buyer and altered to look as though he has paid you.
Signs its a scam are >>>
its an invoice BUT sellers send invoices not buyers
marked as paid
marked as gift
says payment won't show in your balance for eg 24 hours
can't be chargedback.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.
Paypal payments are more or less instant.
Paypal will never tell you that a payment can't be subject to a chargeback if thats what scammers are still putting on invoices.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DayZi
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, sadly I got scammed and I feel dumb and sad that I trusted him. I don't have much experience with PayPal so I didn't know I could have been scammed that way. But I got full proof of a fake template in which he misspelled my username, the note section said "test" and the date was written grammatically wrong ("25 december 2021") and the first indication was that I didn't get any notification that someone sent me money and the highlighted sentence after the invoice or something was sent which said how it can't be refunded in 24 hours or something. It's just so stupid how the guy continued manipulating and lying, honestly it would of been less stressful if he just took the item and left me alone. But what can I say, nothing I can do about it except report his PayPal account (I got the glimpse of his username and have his full name) and try to contact PayPal so they can look into it. Also I've learned my mistake so I know better for the next time.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.