Cvmaker.uk scam

Crispacket
Contributor
Contributor

Cvmaker.uk

Went to their site from create a free cv link.

Made a cv, went to download it, site then requests £2.95, ok , I had no time left to make new so paid by Paypal.

Next week they take £14.95. I had at no point noticed agreeing to a subscription. Immediately raised dispute with Paypal, denied within a few hours.

Their most recent reviews on trustpilot are littered with word scam (okay one of those is mine).

Just waited in Paypal customer service chat, gave up after 75mins, at one point the window said new message from agent, but never appeared.

Any advice?

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Crispacket 

Check if you had a subscription set up and if so cancel it...

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Crispacket
Contributor
Contributor

I cancelled the subscription right away, will Paypal have warned me about this when setting, cause I never noticed agreeing to a subscription, and am usually careful (first one o these I fell for).

For £14.95 (~$20) th e blurb suggested all you get is monthly access to your CVs , of which surprisingly I have one! Sounds like you still have to pay another £2.95 to get another CV on top...

Login to Me Too

rajivkoghar
New Community Member

Yes i also got scammed on the CV Maker website.  Nowhere is it mentioned that i would be charged USD19.95 for the monthly subscription. I was just paying USD2.95 for the resume. I did complain  to Paypal and also to the website . but both mentioned that it is written in the fine print, which i could not find anywhere. This website should be shut down ASAP. 

Login to Me Too

ninu1231
Contributor
Contributor

i totally agree

Login to Me Too

julietabonita
Contributor
Contributor

hey i suffered the same thing with you. the website automatically cost me 14.95 in May. and several days they ask me to pay outstanding fee and reminder fee and two months membership fee which in total are 73.4 pounds thats totally scam. i send email to the website's customer support, they blame on me didn't read the condition carefully. i don't know what will happen if i dont pay this 73.4. please help 

Login to Me Too

Crispacket
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry not much help. I did this at start of virus, so PayPal were unavailable on phone or chat, maybe they are now. If they are ask them to see how easy it is to miss the automatic subscription warning cause I saw no warning of subscription. If they didn't take the money already, about only way to stop is by closing bank account. But go to your bank and ask advice as all are different. I put a review of cvmaker on trustpilot, many reviews said they were a scam, but most got taken down, my review was challenged by Cvmaker, but I provided proof to trustpilot so it stayed online ! Make sure you look under subscriptions on PayPal, to cancel, or they may try and take even more. Good luck !! PS It is indeed a SCAM relying on you not noticing the vastly overpriced/useless subscription when all you want is a CV. Also if you need a CV in a hurry so use the service , you probably ain't rich to begin with, so these're not nice people ripping off the poor.
Login to Me Too

FYIDenmark
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same problem in Denmark. First time I went on the site and paid the one time fee and opted out of the subscription. Had to go back 10 days later to make a correction and paid the one time fee again. The subscription box did not come up again and never agreed to the subscription. Paid the one time fee and voila 8 days later paypal sends a bill.  If I had signed up for a subscription on the 2nd visit I would not have paid both the one time fee and a subsciption. This is a scam that they are running and everyone should know about it. Do not fall into their trap. Once they have your paypal details they will run this crap on everyone. Usually when you sign up for something, you get an email asking you to confirm your subscription or sign up but they do not do that. 

People AVOID THIS SITE at all costs. Not worth it. Much better places to get a CV made.

Login to Me Too

FYIDenmark
Contributor
Contributor

I got my money back after I posted about 30 posts on various sites pointing out their scam. Sent the company an email telling them I would out them to as many places as possible and they noticed all my posts. Two days later they said they would refund my money if I removed several of the posts- remved them, but all of them. You can try to do the same or at least post as many negative comments whereever they talk about CV or resume making. Try you tube, reddit,facebook, twitter, etc..... the more people that do this the more business they will lose and maybe change their ways or be kicked off the internet.

Login to Me Too

12z
Contributor
Contributor

Their site is quite misleading. They advertise for one to create a CV at a minimal cost of £3. However, they hide in their small print the fact that you are automatically subscribed to a recurring charge of £15 which is automatically charged to your account within 7 days. Even if the payment does not go through, they say you are still obligated to pay and will hound you for it, with threats of sending debt collectors. The product is good (thus the 1 star) but this practice is very shady and unethical. Use them at your own peril.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.