Counterfeit item sold and paypal want me to send it back...

bilal91
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, so I purchased some nike trainers from depop which were a few 10s of pounds cheaper than on ebay etc and upon receiving, the quality seemed off even though the seller said they were authentic in the description. So I got an authentication company to check them and they did come out as fakes...i contacted the seller and he was unwilling to work with me so i opened the Paypal dispute and thought the authenticity certificate would be enough for me to get a full refund without having to send the item back (as it is against the law to post counterfeit goods through the post)...first the seller offered me half the money back which i rejected and now he's offering full refund but I've to send trainers back which i don't think i should have to do considering they are counterfeit and it does say in Paypal buyer protection policy that incase "the item sold being
counterfeit, the seller will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will
not receive the item back"

So do i have any leg to stand on here or will i just have to give in and sent the item back in order to receive the refund?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Craig

Hi @bilal91,

Welcome to the Community! 

I appreciate you sharing these additional details and completely understand being upset. I know how discouraging it can be to receive a counterfeit item and to just want a refund. 

Returning an item back to the seller to receive a full refund is a pretty common outcome when you receive something not as described. It is to help avoid one party having both the money and the item. Please understand that it would be the buyer's responsibility, not the seller, to return the item back. If the seller would like to assist with return postage, they can, but it is not a requirement of them. 

You may be able to avail of free shipping, however. If you want, you can always read more about 'Return Shipping on Us'

Thank you for your post,

Craig 

Login to Me Too

bilal91
Contributor
Contributor
yhh great, so the guy can sell it to another victim...good going 👍🏼
Login to Me Too

hghaz
New Community Member

I'm in the same situation but the return shipping would be hundreds of dollars. I don't even have a mechanism to weight the 9x12 ft carpet that's a counterfeit item that the merchant wants returned in order to refund my money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hghaz 

If its counterfeit you would need to provide proof to paypal in the form of confirmation from the company that sells the genuine article OR a shop that sells it.

HOWEVER if its tat from somewhere like China where its legal to sell fakes and so buyer beware then you may have to return it unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.