Confirming Receipt before receiving item? Buyers protection

UnexplainedMemo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I made an expensive purchase ($1000+) and the seller wants me to confirm receipt before actually receiving the item. They provided me a tracking number but the package status is simply that the label was created and in "posting/collection" in its originating country and has not moved at all since the shipping label was created 3 days ago. I'm worried they simply created the label but never actually handed the package over to the postal service to ship out even though they claim they did. There are also red flags such as the seller pressuring me to confirm receipt so they can receive the funds that are currently on hold.

Paypal support tells me you can still open a dispute after confirming receipt even if the prompt says you agree to forfeit the buyer protection, but it’s unclear if you can only open a dispute for things like the item not being as described or missing parts.

Will I be able to open a dispute for 'item not received', if the tracking number given to me was fake and nothing ever arrives to me (assuming the tracking number reflects this)? Or will I lose a dispute regardless of what the tracking number shows, simply because I clicked on confirm receipt?

The simple thing would be to ignore the seller until I receive the package but I do still want to know what ways I am protected if I click on the button to get them to stop nagging at me.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@UnexplainedMemo 

Same protection applies. You can file item not received/not as described as usual. If tracking is fake, confirm with the shipping company that your shipping address is delivery address on record. Get the results in writing and include it with any other discrepancies such as package size/weight in your dispute.

If you don’t want to risk PayPal going back on their word, you can ignore the seller’s request or say that PayPal will release funds 1 to 3 days after delivery is confirmed by PayPal or that you will confirm receipt when you receive the item to satisfaction and leave it at that.

Don’t see the point of PayPal even put that disclaimer on confirming receipt if it won’t affect buyer protection. Just causes more confusion/worry on buyers.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@UnexplainedMemo 

Same protection applies. You can file item not received/not as described as usual. If tracking is fake, confirm with the shipping company that your shipping address is delivery address on record. Get the results in writing and include it with any other discrepancies such as package size/weight in your dispute.

If you don’t want to risk PayPal going back on their word, you can ignore the seller’s request or say that PayPal will release funds 1 to 3 days after delivery is confirmed by PayPal or that you will confirm receipt when you receive the item to satisfaction and leave it at that.

Don’t see the point of PayPal even put that disclaimer on confirming receipt if it won’t affect buyer protection. Just causes more confusion/worry on buyers.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.