'Confirm Receipt' message seems fraudulent

Weiwuwei
Contributor
Contributor

Hello - I have searched the archives but apologies in advance if this is a common question.

I received this message (pasted below) yesterday. Judging from the grammar and English it's fraudulent but I was certainly concerned for a while... I can't see the purpose of it but it's almost certainly a scam - just posting it here for comment in case anyone can shed any light on the matter. I have deleted the email address included which was the address of a buyer I paid £90 to on a clothes buying website and who I don't think is responsible for this message.

(Subject) Confirm receipt

Dear ,

This is a courtesy email being sent to you by PayPal on behalf of  "email addresss ” in relation to the following transaction. 

Transaction Date:   Nov 14, 2021 9:10:06 AM

Transaction Amount:  £90.00 GBP ($124.12 USD) 

Transaction ID: 8UR36301SV809893W

This is in regards to the payment sent from your end is been held as it was sent as goods and service payment. Hence request you to please confirm receipt by following the steps mentioned below so that we can release the funds.

To help protect the security of your transaction, the confirmation button will be available after 48 hours of your payment date.

Here's how to confirm that you have received an item:

1. Log in to your PayPal account via PayPal.com
  2. Click Activity.
  3. Find and click the original payment for the item.
  4. Click Confirm Receipt.
  5. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

Note: This option will not appear using the PayPal App. 

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
Nousheen
PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2021 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Weiwuwei 

Could be the sellers funds are on the new seller ''hold'' and so to get the funds more quickly they have to prove trackable proof of delivery OR the buyer uses the confirm receipt option. However that option is not always available and you do not have to use it, if you don't or can't then his funds are released 21 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Weiwuwei 

OR its someone you have purchased from wanting you to confirm receipt BEFORE you have received the item so that they get any held money released more quickly BUT if you do so it will negate your buyer protection if you need to raise a dispute for non receipt of item at any point before you get the item.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Weiwuwei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying, that's much appreciated. Actually, the transaction is done and dusted, I received the item and the vendor got paid a week or two ago. It's just a strange one - I posted it here out of interest... I don't know what the sender hoped to achieve but I really don't think it originated from Paypal (unless their standards have really dropped...!) which is why I posted it here. Thanks again.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Weiwuwei 

Could be the sellers funds are on the new seller ''hold'' and so to get the funds more quickly they have to prove trackable proof of delivery OR the buyer uses the confirm receipt option. However that option is not always available and you do not have to use it, if you don't or can't then his funds are released 21 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Weiwuwei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again - I don't have the option to 'confirm receipt' plus, for a standard cut and paste message from Paypal, surely they would not correspond using such poor English? e.g. "This is in regards to the payment sent from your end is been held as it was sent as goods and service payment. Hence request you to please confirm receipt by following the steps mentioned below so that we can release the funds."

I am still a bit puzzled by this but not really concerned.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Weiwuwei 

Sounds like the seller sent the message pretending to be paypal?

Anyway as i said the confirm receipt option is not always available and you don't have to use it anyway. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.