Closed my account

Diannaaa
Contributor
Contributor
After 11 years and never once has anyone complained about my account, Paypal closed my account without telling me any reason, except for security reasons!! But no examples. They will not allow me to withdraw a payment in the account. They say they may not release the money before 180 days. How can they do this? I have run a business for over 20 years with never ever a problem. I asked them to please research research me and my business to see I have tremendous pride and integrity in my business. No response except a message they closed my account permanently. Anyone else have this happen and what were the final results?
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Diannaaa 

If you have been told your Paypal account has been permanently limited then Paypal tends to hold any funds for 180 days. This is the same time frame that buyers have to open Paypal disputes.

If no disputes are opened in 180 days then normally you are allowed to withdraw the funds. That is as long as you are over 18, the account is in your legal name and registered in the country where you reside.

Sometimes they confiscate funds under this policy.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#actions

Paypal also may request further documentation from you before you can withdraw those funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Diannaaa
Contributor
Contributor
This is inexcusable. Bad business and total disregard for decency. You don’t do this to people. I read all and I have not done anything to put up a red flag. You can’t close an account and not explain to someone why. Giving them pages of rules and regulations is not the way to do it. I read through them and I am not guilty of any in infraction. And yet I cannot get one reason why they close my account. All they have to do is contact the person who paid me, and see if they are unhappy with any transaction they’ve done with me. Instead of playing this guessing game and holding money for 180 days. Will I be collecting interest on this money or will PayPal. This is such a scam.
Login to Me Too

FML1
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that this is complete and utter nonsense. I Use my PayPal for my streaming account payments only pretty much - some personal transactions now and then and Venmo is used infrequently but mostly for personal things. NOTHING UNUSUAL. No extreme amounts. No extreme transactions. My accounts were closed today completely out of the blue and I got no red flag warnings beforehand. Something is fishy - I am eager to CALL them in the morning and get the bottom of this and I'm hoping it was a hack job. You should definitely not accept what has happened to you - get to the truth and don't stop pursuing information until you do! Because if you don't this will undoubtedly continue to happen - these are businesses that are meant to bring people together through technology and in so doing has created an incredibly-inconceivably!- vast network. It has been a great creator of convenience and creator of possibilities and new relationships - especially for small businesses. Yet don't get lost in the shuffle - it is you and I who allowed for this beast to become what it is and we should be heard and respected because of our loyalties. 

Login to Me Too

Diannaaa
Contributor
Contributor
Your 100% right. But I did speak with 2 people at Paypal and they both told me that the account was closed for a security reason but would not tell me what the security reason was. I’m going to reach out to better business bureau and to consumers advocate. I will not just let this go.
Login to Me Too

Diannaaa
Contributor
Contributor

Have you received any information why they closed your account? I have not. Just an email that told me my account was permanently closed. I made a formal complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Now awaiting their response. This saddens me because I never had to deal with something like this. This is an attack on my integrity.
good luck with your outcome. 

Login to Me Too

ebchaves3230
Contributor
Contributor
go to WALLET section of paypal click on name ie. digital river....it goes to your list of credit cards scroll down to pre-approved payments. click on it. you'll see a list of companies ine of them should be the scamming vendor ie. digital river.. click on it..click ..REMOVE PAYPAL.AS YOUR PAYMENT METHOD...and it will only be for thst company.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Diannaaa 

You're welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Diannaaa
Contributor
Contributor
kernowlass, I never thanked you. You are ZERO help!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Diannaaa 

As I said, you're welcome anyway.

Luckily plenty of nice posters on this forum so I will head off to help them.

Meanwhile you are still banned, bye then.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.