China “sending wrong item” scam

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Starsky72 

It's how PayPal resolves SNAD claims. Return for a refund. In the dispute, they can't force sellers to provide return shipping or refund more than what you paid.

Register for PayPal return shipping refund for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not like the decision, forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and invoke your cc chargeback rights and resolve it exclusively with your cc issuer. Sellers are not covered for SNADs and get charged a chargeback fee.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
171 REPLIES 171
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Starsky72 

It's how PayPal resolves SNAD claims. Return for a refund. In the dispute, they can't force sellers to provide return shipping or refund more than what you paid.

Register for PayPal return shipping refund for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not like the decision, forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and invoke your cc chargeback rights and resolve it exclusively with your cc issuer. Sellers are not covered for SNADs and get charged a chargeback fee.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

And these sellers know the system and are playing it...

im left in a no win situation, PayPal MUST be aware of this issue, it must be happening so often. 
The credit card side of things would be a good idea IF I hadn’t paid with PayPal balance 

it’s simply wrong, everyone knows it, we’re being fleeced and PayPal are allowing it 

Login to Me Too

frogmom37
Contributor
Contributor

I sent PayPal so much documentation on my situation. I ordered four sweaters.  I received a fake Cartier necklace (clearly marked Stainless Steel, and a genuine FAKE according to Cartier) with "certificates of authenticity" that were laughable.  I also received an equally fake Burberry scarf, with documentation that actually misspelled "Burberry" wrong several times.  Sending the worthless items back was incredibly expensive.  In the US, a merchant is liable to send the items we order, right?  If they don't, they eat the cost of what they send, send a call tag and have the package picked up, and then refund the customer.  Why do Chinese merchants feel it is the customer's fault when they **bleep** up? (probably intentionally)   Because PayPal allows them to!! 

Login to Me Too

Temp20201011c
Contributor
Contributor
Absolutely PayPal allows AND protects known scammers. I’m just disgusted!!
Login to Me Too

prior59
Contributor
Contributor

the same happened to me but i posted mine back and pay pal refused to accept my proof of postage which i sent twice ,then took so long to tell me my  they had closed the case i cant even go to my bank to cancel the credit card transaction  pay pal sucks.

Login to Me Too

Rocky02
Contributor
Contributor
We all need to decide to leave PayPal and find another source since PayPal will not help us get our money back from SCAM China $#@%! And now you can't even contact them so its even harder to get your money back. I was just told that I had to submit documentation from the FBI?? File a Police Report or the IFC! this is absurd to contact these people for $61.19 they will tell me bug off! but that is the only want to get my refund they say!
Login to Me Too

Cherry1953
Contributor
Contributor

I will definitely not be using PayPal again 

Login to Me Too

EDoughman

This happened to me also. I ordered a lithium cordless hand held mini wood chopper and what I received was a flimsy hand saw which resembled a toy more than an implement. I opened a dispute with Paypal, but as I could not upload any photos after the commencement of my claim the dispute was closed as the seller had a tracking number for the received item. Now I want to commence another dispute - items received not as ordered - but the transaction number has been locked out from further enquiries. Both Facebook and Paypal must be aware of this scam. I emailed a strong letter to the supplier, but I don't like my chances of a response.

Login to Me Too

brantb09
Contributor
Contributor

I also ordered sawsbut did not get still no dispute opened

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.