Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

jnguyen2cee
New Community Member

If you send a payment thru Friends and Family, can you file a dispute or claim?

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

CroDan
Contributor
Contributor

for me problem when virtual items are not legal...

Login to Me Too

kanata1972

I was scammed recently 250USD by seller who insisted i sent as friends and family. I contacted Paypal and they said i was not eligilbe for dispute. Very mad and frustrated. Wish Paypal get rid of paying to friends/ family option. It is ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

Receiver
Contributor
Contributor

What is truly ridiculous is how people can be so gullible particularly in handling their own money. Sending through "friends/family" option has its own purpose. I send money to my family members from time to time out of goodwill with my paypal balance and I believe there is no fee for it according to this Paypal Article(and if there is, clearly the amount is small enough to go unnoticed). Without that option, I will be charged for sending money as a gift as if I bought a product or service(which is significantly higher). Why should the users who are benefitting from using Paypal's services accordingly suffer due to some user's ignorance and lack of wit? Look, information and options that will protect users from getting scammed are easily accessible. At least have some initiative to protect yourself as much as you are keen on complaining.

Login to Me Too

disneyman26
Contributor
Contributor

The biggest disappointment is even when the funds have not been fully transferred to the other party (meaning Paypal has placed a hold on them) and you realize you have been scammed so you contact Ppal, they will refuse to nullify the transaction.  I get it you shouldn't use friends and family but for those that do it unintentionally (mainly because of their lack of using PPal that often) there should be a mechanism to kill the transaction.

Login to Me Too

NataahaCherie
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing just happened to me & I'm so upset that people would con others!
Login to Me Too

Make a claim to paypal that the transaction was unauthorised and you will get your money back unless the seller can provide postage.

I am a seller and lost £2250 this morning after a buyer pulled that trick on me.  The item was personally delivered and the buyer acknowledges the item being received by email etc but paypal want me to provide post info which I dont have.  No other options available

Login to Me Too

raggydawg
Contributor
Contributor

Well I had paypal took it upon themself to take the money from me  and the guy kept my product too. I sent the product to him with a signature required. I never told him to send me the money through paypal. He had previously bought items from me on ebay, so he had my paypal email address. He took it upon himself to use paypal to pay for a personal collection that was not ever on Ebay. I found it strange he went through PayPal, but I thought nothing of it. I still do not see a present or past a dispute. I opened the details of transactions and I found it inside the transaction, it was stated it was an unauthorized transaction. I didn't even know how he sent the money until I called to see why they refunded him the money. I am not the fraudulent one here. I am currently out several thousands of $$ and the product too. 

Login to Me Too

jestery
Contributor
Contributor

(First post, probably **bleep** something up, if so lemme know so I don't do it again)

Anyway! I was really hoping there was a way to undo this type of payment because I casually handed my phone to a 'friend' without thinking while the paypal app was open behind messenger. He sent an sms along with $50 to himself from my paypal account. I'm not sure how to report it either, I didn't even notice for a while as I was done with paypal that night.

Is there any way a friends and family dispute could be put in for extreme measures? That would seem to help a lot of people, and those who didn't understand the difference could perhaps pay 2-3x times the normal buyer protection fee to bring the case to the paypal staff? If I was out $500 I certainllty wouldn't mind paying a decent sized fee to get what I could back and and show the jack... jackal that the kind of stuff they did isn't just going to slide.

This next part seems traditional considering how many times I've seen it, and far be it from me to ignore tradition.

Leave some kudos if you liked my post 🙂

Login to Me Too

FierceHyena
I agree completely. Same thing happened to me, think it probably happens all the time. There is a flaw in PayPal’s system that they cannot help people who committed fraud and there are innocent victims. I’d like to file legal action against PayPal or at least send a petition to the CEO or something. Interested in pursuing this too?
Login to Me Too

LucyMol25
New Community Member
This is quite clearly an issue for many. By charging people for using other ways rather than family and friends, PayPal are almost creating a ‘black market’ for dodgy sellers and therefore opening people up to scams. PayPal need new processes in place to protect its users.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.