Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

jnguyen2cee
New Community Member

If you send a payment thru Friends and Family, can you file a dispute or claim?

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

Smaniscalco
New Community Member
This is complete BS. Everyone is overlooking the simple fact that the buyer can still claim the account was hacked and then you get burned!!!
Login to Me Too

alan222

Friends and family should be struck off unless a flash alert appears saying your money is not protected. ive been ripped off for £210 by a low life theif. ive reported it to Gumtree paypal,police , action fraud and my bank. No help. I havnt even had confirmation that Paypal have suspened his account. Look out for Joseph <removed> his email is <removed> he is a scammer.

Login to Me Too

Tawanda2
New Community Member
I understand that if I send money as friends or family I’m not protected but what can I do if that were to happen and I got scammed.
Login to Me Too

Paypal supposed to fix this issue. People getting scam with this transaction. 

I been using paypal and I never had any issue or file a complain. 

Just these 2 transaction I got scammed of. Apparently these 2 guys suppose to give me virtual goods after I send them money..

But after I sent them the money. They blocked me off the messenger.

I file a dispute. waited weeks and guess what. They cant do anything about it.

why is paypal letting these scammers go away. where is our paypal protection.

They should take this seriously. I filed a dispute about wrong transaction because I don't want to use the unauthorized.. maybe I will file dispute again and choose that option.. I just lost almost $75 for nothing thanks Paypal. I know I have mistake too I wasn't careful but if you check my whole paypal transaction history. I Never HAD a problem.. 

Login to Me Too

maritina9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! There is a friend who sent me some money through Paypal (with the friends and family option), to order something for her (i have the receipt on her name), and then she reported on Paypal that "she did not do this transaction", so now this amount of money is frozen on my account (says: Pending).
I don't have access to my money just because she changed her mind and she is angry!
Will I get my money back or will I lose them? 

Login to Me Too

ARalton
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, This is similar to what someone has asked me to do, but in reverse. A friend /trader in Egypt, who I have bought from before with no problem, has asked me to receive a payment for him as Egypt doesn't allow PayPal, and I would transfer cash on using Western Union. I'm not saying that there is anything untoward, but it concerns me that I'm potentially opening myself up to fraud if the third party buyer disputes the transaction and I have already transferred cash. It occurred to me that Friends and Family might provide more protection for me, provided the buyer cannot subsequently dispute the transaction.
Login to Me Too

Yoliveira

I have a similar situation. Seller would only sell their item through friends and family (for payment).  Couple of weeks go by, no item.  Message seller through Facebook (where I found the item to purchase), and seller responded that her husband forgot to mail the item, would mail again (even asked for my address again stating that the label got ruined).  Gave her the information and waited patiently for my item.  Another coup!e of weeks go by, and still no item.  I message the seller again (asked for tracking number) - no response.  This goes on for over a week, with no response.  I tried to email her  using the PayPal email, but the email was returned as undeliverable.  Now it's been over 2 months, no item, no contact at all from seller (have requested refund with no response yet), and upset that I lost out on the money I spent.  There has to be some way to get our money back from people who scam you this way??  .

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Yoliveira wrote:

Seller would only sell their item through friends and family (for payment).

@Yoliveira

Hopefully, you now know that sellers who do this are not to be trusted.

Suggestion... take a few minutes to read PayPal's Purchase Protection Policy here...

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection

-Sandy 

Login to Me Too

You can dispute a friends and family payment.  This morning I woke up to find £2250 gone from my seller account after a customer filed an unauthorised transaction claim.  I sold him a commercial printer 6 weeks ago and delivered it.  There is only invoice and emails between us to prove the transaction. Paypal want proof of delivery which I dont have so I am out of pocket £2250

Login to Me Too

Josh87
New Community Member

I was scammed today with this as well. My story is a little different, I actually didn't intend to do pay with Family and Friends. I payed a guy through the phone app and "Family and Friends" is the default options. I didn't realize how I paid the guy until afterwards, of course now it's too late. 

Not blaming Paypal for this or anything, but I think for most people it could be a little clearer what paying as "Family and Friends" means in terms of protection for the buyer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.