Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

jnguyen2cee
New Community Member

If you send a payment thru Friends and Family, can you file a dispute or claim?

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

Tbolton1970
Contributor
Contributor
I know there is so much misinformation going around all the different sites saying to just dispute with the credit card co, but I am here to say that they may very well not get the customer's money back because paypal performed the service as requested. The service was actually a money transfer, not for goods or services. Sometimes banks will refund as a customer service courtesy, but not often unless it is under a certain amount. This is why you pay a fee when you pay via the goods or services option. So many times I see people saying "there should be some type of protection..." but this is why it is fully disclosed and you are given the option prior to completing the transaction. It is like deciding not to pay for car insurance because of the monthly premium and then being upset when you are in an accident and not covered. I will gladly pay the fee upfront to have the rights to pursue a dispute in the event I do not receive what i paid for.
Login to Me Too

tienhme

I just got scammed and lost $309 because I didn't know about friends and family.  It would be helpful if Paypal gave some warning before executing the transaction so its clear there is no protection and a possible scam is occurring.

I am so mad I will actively avoid using Paypal.  Its clear there is a known issue here and they are doing nothing to educate or prevent the scam from continuing.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal lets you know what you are doing when you select the payment method.  It's up to the user to read and understand before using the system.

Login to Me Too

Sh3k3ida
Contributor
Contributor
Even if it's not protected through pay pal you can always file a fraud claim with your bank and they will do a investigation which in most cases if it's legit you will get your money back
Login to Me Too

ldrjmx
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I just made a transaction too and I just realized I was so stupid for not figuring out the difference of friends and family vs the other method of the protection program....my question is: how did it work out for you in the end?Did you manage to file a dispute and get your money back or no?

Thank you, 

p.s. just worried about losing $500 of hard worked money to a scammer 😮 😞 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@ldrjmx

You didn't provide any details about what you did or intended to achieve.

Login to Me Too

jazzreynolds
New Community Member

Hi! Ive just done the same thing.. Did you get your money back in the end? If so, how?

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you funded the payment with a credit card, file a dispute with card issuer?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

charpsc1
They did do something, they have an option for goods and services. It's not their fault if you are ignorant of possibles tools to prevent this from happening.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.