Can't withdraw my funds on limited account. Any ideas?

zoes95
New Community Member

I received this email today,

"We've reviewed the documents you submitted and determined that you were under 18 years old when you opened your PayPal account. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for a PayPal account. From now on, you can't send or receive money with this account."

And then...

"If you have a PayPal balance, you can withdraw it to your bank account."

But when I hit "Transfer Funds" to withdraw to my bank account, it says I can't make transfers because my account is limited. So how can I withdraw my funds? Seems like a catch 22?

It would have been great to have a little bit of warning about this before they shut down my account. I'm a freelancer and my last paycheck is stuck there. If anyone knows how to "withdraw" the funds without "transferring" them that would be great. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zoes95 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18. So the warning is at the very top of Paypals user agreement, that you agree to when you open a Paypal account.

PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.

As you would be unable to verify your account it would be permanently locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you may not have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18, unless customer services allow you to transfer the funds to a parents account?

You would never be able to use that illegally opened underage account again but once 18 Paypal may allow you to do a withdrawal of funds from that account.

OR they may allow you to open a new account and transfer the funds across for you. The latter option is not guaranteed as you have already broken their rules once but you should get one of those options.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.