Can I get scammed if someone is paying me for "goods and services"? (Facebook Marketplace purchase)

nartats
New Community Member

Can I get scammed if someone is paying me for "goods and services"? Or am I protected? I have someone wanting to purchase something from Facebook Marketplace but they want to pay using PayPal.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nartats 

It is possible. You are liable if the payment gets reversed later on. Buyer has 180 days from date of payment to file claim.

You’ll need to submit proof of delivery against item not received claims so ship with tracking and use signature confirmation for amounts over $750.

Unauthorized activity claims are covered, provide proof of delivery to fight those.

Significantly not as described disputes, claims ARE NOT covered unless buyer lets on in the claim that it’s buyer’s remorse or wants a warranty.

Buyer can also opt to file credit card chargeback instead of filing PayPal claim. Chargebacks are decided by the bank, not PayPal. Significantly not as described chargebacks are not covered. To respond to a chargeback is to write your side of the story on a word doc, drag n drop screenshots, etc, then pdf it to upload to PayPal.

More info on protection policies:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

If you have compelling evidence, you can appeal.

But note that PayPal has the sole discretion on deciding their disputes and claims. They may decide not to cover you even if it may appear you are covered and must generally accept their decision if you asked them to get involved by escalating to a PayPal claim.

Small claims court is an option against the buyer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.