CUSTOMER RECIEVED ITEM AND WANTS A REFUND TOO?

Emyrxal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, so I recently sold a pair of trainers on Depop- there was no issue with the trainers other than they needed a clean which was explained to the buyer and he agreed to. I provided images etc via Instagram and Depop and he was fine with the product, what he’s done is recieved the item I sent and immediately requested a refund stating the product is destroyed and blocked me off Depop stating I blocked him?? I know it definitely isn’t damaged and he definitely isn’t blocked from my side. Now the issue is most of my proof of him agreeing is on Instagram which I had to remove him from because talking on Instagram lead to me receiving an email from Depop saying it was a breach of their guidelines (have email proof of this) I believe he is trying to abuse the refund mechanic and receive his money back + keep the product I sent (I don’t do returns or refunds I stated this in my Depop bio) OR I believe he already had a pair of the same trainers with significant damage and is trying to play them off as the ones I sold to him, he was very specific in the shoe he wanted to purchase (vapormax) which I wasn’t originally selling but thinking about it that has made me suspicious.. Any help on what I can do here? (I have already placed a PayPal resolution in but I’m unsure of how these things work I’ve never had an issue with a buyer before like this) I’m literally being scammed by somebody who’s bought an item off me due to PayPal 😕

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Emyrxal 

Your refund policy is just for buyer remorse, if the item is damaged OR the buyer says they are then you have to abide by paypals policies which you agreed to when you accepted payments processed via paypal.

So in the event of an item received but not as described dispute its always one persons word against anothers.

So paypal tend to favour the buyer BUT normally they have to return the item back to you (trackable to prove delivery) before you have to refund.

All you can do is wait paypals decision.

They don't take any notice of 'photos' or 'messages' on other sites only messages actually imputted on the resolution centre.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Emyrxal
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, thanks for your speedy reply. I’ve read countless posts about buyers using PayPal’s refund policy to abuse the mechanics and claim a refund on an undamaged product just because they don’t want it anymore? I believe that’s what is happening here- now I’m worried that the seller is going to send me a damaged product back so I’m out of money and out of a product to sell- this is a blatant scam.. on the buyers behalf, do you think ringing PayPal would make a difference? I’m really not willing to accept a damaged product back (or completely destroyed as stated by the customer) when it wasn’t damaged sent out if that’s the case I mean it’s £175 trainers it’s not like I’m £10 out of pocket 😕
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Emyrxal 

You would be able to appeal if you received a damaged item back again BUT as I said because its your word against the buyers then sadly i doubt it will make a lot of difference.

How does paypal know that what you received back isn't what you sent?

Sadly you have to expect the odd bad transaction if you are selling online as you are always going to get the odd pain in the butt buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bigmikestorm
New Community Member
I am going through this now. I didn't ship anything. Buyer came to my house to buy a New landscape trailer loaded with new equipment and also a used Wright 61 inch zero turn lawn mower. He came to my house and tried out mower. After testingbit out he said he wanted to buy it but had tonuse a credit card so he had to use PayPal. My ad states "Try before you buy, Sold As Is, No Warranty. " He came and tried it. He towed the trailer away with mower and equipment. 5 months later I get an email where he wants a complete refund. Almost 10 thousand dollars! I am suppossed to let.him have all.of this equipment for free? I told PayPal I will take the buyer to court and PayPal to court for theft/larceny and fraud. I will sue them all. I can affors to lose 100 percent of my sale.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bigmikestorm 

Never accept paypal for items collected as it clearly states in the seller protection policy that items personally delivered or collected are not covered.

So you could try suing but as it was you that took the risk despite what it says in paypals seller protection policy then I don't think you will have much luck unfortunately.

I always say 'cash on collection' OR direct bank transfer for items collected, if they pay with paypal I refund and tell them cash only or the deal is off.

To be honest the buyer would have no buyer protection either so the only way he would get a refund is if he funded his paypal payment via a credit card and did it via his card issuer, again as he collected it they may not find in his favour either.

So if he files a dispute with paypal OR credit card then put in AS MUCH information as possible ie your no refunds / warranties policy / buyer collected item / buyer tested item / etc etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dover007
New Community Member
It's what happened time to time , we are having a meeting to remove PayPal from our payments method. You loose too much than you gain using PayPal , they always side the customer no matter what you do, or what proof you provide.
Login to Me Too

Limasenar
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I'm also going through the same thing. After more than 20 years of buying and selling goods online I'm sad to say that I have received most unfair treatment from the buyer and lack of show of diligence by PayPal. I know that's subjective and everyone must say that they're right and the other party's wrong, but I think keeping a 100% positive feedback across platforms for 20+ years should speak some weigh to a person's reputation. I had sold a guitar to a US buyer through Reverb and accept payment through PayPal as the only option since I live overseas. The buyer paid me very promptly and everything went smoothly until he reached out to me seeking for a partial/full refund after receiving the item claiming that it's not as described and a whole other argument which basically says my listing was misleading (despite every bit of detailed pictures and descriptions provided). At first Reverb stepped in before the issue got escalated to PayPal, who really (as it turns out) paid no mind to my argument and proof of documentations. The buyer sought partial refund of $235 to which I responded my willingness to give him $150 out of goodfaith. Today I got an e-mail from PayPal and the amount refunded to the buyer is $395. So now the buyer has the fully-functioning guitar plus $395 out of the $700 I made from the sale so in the end he only paid $215 plus s/h for something that's worth at least $650.

This need to be given more attention. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Emyrxal 

Your no returns or refund policy is countered by paypals terms and conditions which you agreed to when you opened your account.

So if the buyer has opened a dispute for item received but not as described then put in as much information as you have (paypal does not consider chat records etc as they are easily changed).

Then wait and see if the buyer escalates to a claim, if they don't it will auto close 20 days later and you won't have to refund.

If he does escalate and if and only if he wins then you will have to give a full refund once the buyer has returned the item back to your at their own expense.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.