Buying from facebook market place

Dannyc123
New Community Member

Hi, I'd like to buy some trainers from Facebook market place...The question is, will i be protected by PayPal's buyer protection by sending money via PayPal, even though i am not buying from a website?

Thank you

Buyer protection Using PayPal on Facebook Marketplace via Payment Request 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

SalSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Dannyc123 if you are buying from FB Marketplace from an independent seller then have them send a very detailed Goods and Services invoice. They can create one through their PayPal account. Make sure they describe the item in sufficient detail in the invoice including final price and any shipping charges. Then have them send the invoice to you through their PayPal account. If the shoes do not arrive or if you get the wrong item, you can use the official G&S invoice as proof.

If they do not want to send you a detailed invoice, then try to meet in person, inspect the shoes, then if satisfied, you can send them a PayPal payment. But note, that without an invoice from the seller, you will note have protection. 

If they insist on not using an invoice and shipping you the shoes instead of meeting in person, I would withdraw from this deal. 

If you do meet in person, pay AFTER you have met and inspected the shoes, not before you meet. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dannyc123 

That depends on many factors all listed in Paypals buyer protection policy for you to read so you can risk assess your transactions.
Legal (bottom right of Paypals pages) > user agreement > buyer protection.

Make sure you do NOT use the friends/family to pay all you will negate that protection. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.