Buyer scammed and stole from me

Nikitak1
Contributor
Contributor
I’m a first time Depop seller who has been scammed by a buyer. All tags attached and send a brand new, Australian designer garment. The seller has reported to PayPal that it was “significantly damaged” (which PayPal automatically is in buyer’s favour and does not cover seller protection). Buyer claims button fell off during shipment and PayPal has taken their side. I’ve sent numerous types of proof that I did not send them anything different. The Buyer have now essentially stolen from me by keeping the garment, and in addition, PayPal has deducted the money from my account, and completely restricted my access to it. I’m desperately seeking advice on how to solve this issue as I am devastated that not only has my garment not been returned, they’ve taken money AND blocked me.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nikitak1 

Did the buyer file a chargeback from the buyer’s financial institution? Double check that. It’s not very often the item is returned if it’s a chargeback.

With dispute through PayPal, PayPal usually requires the buyer to return item for a refund for not as described. If they didn’t, you’ll have to contact customer service to ask them why and try to get a courtesy refund for their error.

If you did something such as not replying within the deadline, you could lose seller protection and may not get your item back. You should also read Impact of various purchase protection processes on sellers. It’s possible that you may not get your item back for SNAD cases.

1. https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click Disputes and account limitations.     
  3. Click Disputes.    
  4. Click Dispute a payment.    
  5. Click Message Us or Call Us after “This information might help” box.
  6. Provide customer service with the case ID and explanation of the problem.

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter.    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal     

Twitter: @AskPayPal      

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nikitak1
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks so much for your response! PayPal claimed the buyer will be refunded the amount once the item was returned to me in its original condition. I replied to this on the day this was filed (9th may), where the deadline is today. I’ve tried contacting multiple times both through phone call and online incident reports to raise the issue, however PayPal continues to claim they are in the buyer’s favour and the case is closed.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.