Buyer opens claim "item not received" but it was a lie

jacubb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

recently buyer opened claim that he didn't receive purchased item but it's not true. He purchased electronic license for a software product, I have sent proofs that license was delivered to this guy and I have provided also logs that he was using this product from October 2022 until now but PayPal decided in his favor. How's that possible? Before I had few similar issues with some buyers and I have provided same proofs as now and before they always decided in my favor, because license was delivered and they were using this product. So now it's possible to lie to PayPal and get back your money for something you were using when you needed it and when you don't need it anymore you can ask for a refund and PayPal will return your money? So you can use software for free?

Anyone had similar problems? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacubb 

Did the buyer open a paypal dispute/claim for non receipt of item OR was it a chargeback done via their credit card issuer/company?

If it was a paypal dispute/claim then the extra requirements for proof of delivery for virtual / digital content is listed in paypals seller protection policy and they will only accept the proof that they have stated is required.

If it was a chargeback then the card issuer makes all decisions for their client and all paypal can do is pass on any information on your behalf until that decision has been made.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jacubb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @kernowlass,

it was PayPal dispute opened by the buyer. I have added multiple proofs including invoicem screen of other invoices with product license renewals, logs from the system that he was using product for 5 months and that he was still using that product on the day he created dispute. I also stated in the reply that I can provide more proofs if it will be necessary like all IP addresses, communication between us, etc. Howevery, PayPal didn't ask for any additional information and still decided in favour of a liar. 

So now it's possible that I will purchase a license for Adobe Photoshop, I will use it for couple months while I need it and when I won't need it anymore I will just submit a dispute that I didn't receive software product and I will get back my money so I was using Photoshop couple months for free? It just doesn't make any sense and I am really surprised that PayPal did such decision. So now I feel really unsafe so anyone in the future will try to do the same and PayPal will refund their money...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacubb 

As i said read paypals seller protection policy for the proof that they require (rather than what you sent) as they expect you to provide it during the dispute rather than them asking for it as disputes are mostly automated.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jacubb
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I read seller protection article and I have provided all required proofs. I have provides proof that digital goods were delivered and that the buyer was using the product for 5 months. And also the rest of the requirements were completed. As I mentioned already, I already had the same issues in the past with such liars who just wanted to take an advantage from purchase and then refund, but PayPal always protected me. Also I have terms of service on website where's written that when you download and/or install product, you're not able to ask for refund anymore, you can do it only if you didn't download and/or install product and when you're making purchase you must read and accept terms of service. So buyer has accepted those terms, I have also added proof that the buyer downloaded and installed product.

For intangible or digital goods:

• You must provide provide compelling evidence that the intangible item or digital good was delivered or provided as described, or that the service was completed as described. Compelling evidence can include any evidence available to prove that your buyer received the goods or services or benefited from the transaction.
  • You must comply with any terms and conditions that apply to the purchase. 1
  • You must comply with all technical integration requirements that were specifically notified to you by PayPal. 1
  • You must have paid PayPal’s standard transaction fees as set out in the relevant User Agreement. 1

I am just looking for some way how to open a dispute for this dispute or something like this, because this is not acceptable.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hey @jacubb,

Welcome to our community help forum!

Thanks for the help @@kernowlass! I certainly understand how concerning this can be for you. You can request an appeal of the outcome of a claim within 10 days of the case closing. Please reach out to our team by clicking the contact us option at the bottom of PayPal page or send us a message through our Twitter(@AskPayPal) and Facebook page for additional assistance to appeal the claim.

I hope this information helps,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.