Bought software from Scammer who purchased it with stolen information

romcom1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I got caught in a scam where I bought used music software from a seller who purchased the software license with stolen information. The fraudulent seller has stopped responding to my messages.

I bought second hand music software from a seller about 45 days ago. He provided me with a legitimate license. A few days ago I learned that others also bought from the same seller earlier this month, and one of them had their licenses revoked due to fraudulent purchases. The seller lied to us and made it seem that he had only one copy of the software, and also lied about going through the legitimate transfer process. I confirmed this with the software company. The software company says they cannot do anything until someone (I guess the person who's credit card got stolen) comes forward tying my license to fraudulent purchase. Afterwards they would revoke my license.

I would like to file a dispute to get my money back. However, my license has not been revoked yet even after 45 days. Is it possible for me to win the PayPal dispute against this scammer if my license has not been revoked yet? I am scared that my license may not be revoked until after 180 days and I would lose the buyer protection, and won't be able to recover my money from the scammer.

I understand that there can only be one dispute per transaction, so want to make sure I do not lose money to the scammer.

Thanks for your time

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@romcom1 

You’re just gonna have to file the dispute and see how it goes. Explain what happened in the dispute and escalate as soon as you can. If the PayPal claim falls through, you may appeal with additional evidence. If that also falls through, or do a chargeback on your card, if that’s how you paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@romcom1 

You’re just gonna have to file the dispute and see how it goes. Explain what happened in the dispute and escalate as soon as you can. If the PayPal claim falls through, you may appeal with additional evidence. If that also falls through, or do a chargeback on your card, if that’s how you paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.