Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

Betheyd3
Contributor
Contributor
Gwen, you ignore them. The invoice is jsut a request form a scammer for you to pay them. You don’t need help, you simply need to either start scamming them, pretending you lost your hearing aid while on the phone, or ignore them. It’s not real.
Login to Me Too

kushmeja
New Community Member

FYI - anyone with a Paypal account can send an invoice to any email they wish. It's just a request for payment that was done via Paypal, so they links are just normal Paypal invoice links & 100% safe to click, since Paypal themselves generated the email & links when the scammer made the fake invoice.

It's the equivalent of a scammer sending a fake bill to you via the mail - just ignore it! It won't hurt your account or credit in any way whatsoever, since it's a scam & not a legitimate charge. An invoice is just a request for payment, NOT an actual charge.

Login to Me Too

Helioc
New Community Member
I received a value from a User that I want to cancel, I did not sell anything to this user. I want to delete this transaction. How do I do it?
Login to Me Too

Bruce74
Contributor
Contributor

Received a phishing email stating that I had made a Bitcoin purchase using PayPal. Has anyone else received such an email.

Thank You for choosing Paypal for placing your Order BITCOIN.

Your order has been successfully placed.

The Payment will be shown soon within next 5 to 10 hours on PAYPAL

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Memo Id : CAFV365BNA
Item Name : BITCOIN (BTC)

Order Placed Date : 28th JAN 2021
Receiving Date : Day After Place The Order.

Price : 457.25 USD
Charge Mode : PAYPAL

If you Wish to Cancel then please feel free to contact our Billing Department as soon as Possible.

You can reach us on [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]

Login to Me Too

RnJA0912
New Community Member

I just received this same email 

Login to Me Too

Jeanine7
Contributor
Contributor

Just had same thing email from [removed] Said I purchased 246.99 in Bitcoin and could call and cancel within 24 hours when I called they try to get me to download software on my computer that would give them control over my computer they insisted I use a laptop they insisted I use chrome I said I have a smart phone they said no it has to be a laptop when I asked them what they wanted me to type and they gave me the name of a program to download that gives them access and that’s when I hung up oh yes they insisted they needed this so that they could see who compromised my computer to find out who did this

Login to Me Too

cpi_per
New Community Member

Mine's a slight variation:

Subject:  Invoice from Bitcoin Exchange (0065)

Hello, Invoice From Bitcoin Exchange

Here's your invoice

Bitcoin Exchange sent you an invoice for $499.99 USD

Due on receipt

[removed]

Seller note to customer

You have successfully made a transaction for your Bitcoin (BTC) Using Paypal, you Charged the amount mentioned in the INVOICE. This transaction may take 12 hours to appear in your Bank Statement. Do give us a Call for any dispute regarding the Payment and issue a Refund at [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]nbsp;

You have successfully made a transaction for your Bitcoin (BTC) Using Paypal, you Charged the amount mentioned in the INVOICE. This transaction may take 12 hours to appear in your Bank Statement. Do give us a Call for any dispute regarding the Payment and issue a Refund at [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]nbsp;

Paypal LogoPaypal LogoPaypal LogoPaypal Logo

Help & Contact | Security | Apps

PayPal is committed to preventing fraudulent emails. Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name. Learn to identify phishing

Please don't reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click Help & Contact.

Not sure why you received this email? Learn more

Copyright © 1999-2022 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at [removed]

PayPal RT000238:en_US(en-US):1.1.0:f9399850f3712

Login to Me Too

ths11
New Community Member

Here's my screenshot.  

[removed]

Interestingly, the URL when I hover over the "View and Pay Invoice" button almost looks legitimate

ths11_1-1663872493629.png

I reported it as phishing to Google and forwarded it to phishing@paypal.com.

Login to Me Too

debwa2012
New Community Member

I got another one of these today. I know better than to click any link and knew this was a scam. I did contact PayPay the first time I got one of these and they just sent me a canned email reply that didn't relate to this at all. Their so-called reply was made for an invalid purchase and told me to change my password. Not great.

Login to Me Too

CRosella530
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen this situation has happened to numerous people. I received an invoice stating I needed to pay $499.30 I recognized immediately that it was not actually paypal so I immediately logged onto my account in the app and I'm showing a pending transaction for the $499.30 "invoice received - pending" my fear is that the money is actually going to be withdrawn from my account because I get my paychecks direct deposited meaning almost half my paycheck will be gone until I can file a dispute then wait the allotted 30-45 days. I have a very ill husband and I'm the only income I literally cannot afford for this to happen. Has anyone actually had the money taken out or seeing the same pending transaction as I am? It will not let me do anything, I cannot cancel or dispute. Thank you in advance for any kind of help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.