Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
813 REPLIES 813

GeorgiaGirl575
Contributor
Contributor

I just got the same thing, same dollar amount! It was from a place or person called Pavan Pavan.

Login to Me Too

daisy2earth

i got one too for the same amount but from someone named Dabhi [removed]

Login to Me Too

SBrando
Contributor
Contributor

I've gotten two more in the last two days. I forwarded the emails to the fraud department and got a thank you email in return, and that's it. I've been ignoring the invoices but I have to admit I'm getting annoyed at PayPal's inaction, and I'm thinking of closing my account. 

Login to Me Too

GeorgiaGirl575
Contributor
Contributor

I was considering doing the same thing. PayPal really does not seem to be very helpful with this ongoing issue. I don't have the most confidence in them right now.

Login to Me Too

Me200

I'm in the same boat. I'm ashamed to say that they got disturbingly far with me before I finally woke and realized I was being scammed. But mostly I am APPALLED that PayPal KNOWS this is a problem and is doing NOTHING about it! I originally set up an account with PayPal well over a decade ago because it was a secure way to make payments online. That is clearly no longer the case. If PayPal isn't interested in the security of its customers, then maybe it's time to close my account.

Login to Me Too

Nozobo
New Community Member

I freaked out as well when I saw the invoice request asking to pay $499.30 and I knew I didn't buy Bitcoin or anything and decided to explore more options to try reach out to Support until I saw here. Yeah, don't freak out over this. It's just an invoice the scammers want you to click to pay it, just ignore it. Invoice mean nothing until you pay it. No sweats!

Login to Me Too

rmuraliananth

Today received an email for an invoice to Bitcoin Exchange for 499.30 & no purchase made. paypal scam.PNG 

Login to Me Too

SBrando
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the best thing to do is ignore them as advised by Sharpiemarker. I do forward the emails to the fraud department but otherwise PayPal doesn't seem to do a whole lot about the issue. The last two I received I have ignored and no money was taken from my bank account. Its a stressful thing though and I wish paypal would crack down on these people. 

Login to Me Too

wagnewvt
New Community Member

$499.99 for me. Doesn't appear on my dashboard or anywhere I can see when I login.

Login to Me Too

Star2017
New Community Member

I received the same invoice today, and it was $499.99. I never exchanged the Bitcoin.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.