Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

MHMinMN
New Community Member

I've had two of these requests in the last week.(different originations). Both for the same amount $699.99. Paypal appears to have intercepted the first which was sent as an "estimate" in the description. The second, was a "money request". and it was in pending state when I logged into paypal, which looks like they were prepared to withdraw that amount. I cancelled that request. But if I hadn't been reading my email notifications, it likely would have gone through.

My concerns about how that may be possible were delivered to phishing@paypal.com in an email.

►PayPal does not provide a configurable switch that acts as an approval mechanism from the member who receives theses transaction(requiring log on and two factor authentication)
► PayPpal also does not provide a mechanism for the member to suspend your accounts activity(like credit cards)
Possible temporary solutions:
► Change your primary email address on the account. This would in effect disable requests going to your previous email addy.
► Remove your banking information until paypal straightens this out.
This needs to be resolved ASAP, or the only solution members have is to close their accounts

Login to Me Too

SBrando
Contributor
Contributor

Received an email for an invoice to Bitcoin Exchange for 499.30. We did not purchase bitcoin and when I try to report the transaction PayPal won't let me. I think its a scam but I can't get the invoice removed. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SBrando 

This is a way of spamming. Bad actor with a PayPal account abuse PayPal Invoicing functionality sending bogus invoices to random user accounts. Just ignore the invoice if you were not expecting one. Invoices received cannot be removed. You may cancel the invoice but the bad actor will be notified of this action and it’s best not to react to spam. You won’t be charged because one has to take action to pay an invoice.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

pfpro
New Community Member

I also received the exact same kind of invoice for $499.30, which I immediately recognized as a scam. You indicated the received invoice can't be removed. However, can it be removed "by PayPal" when reported to PayPal?

Login to Me Too

SBrando
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Paypal, when they finally got back to me recommended I cancel the invoice. I did. And today I got another one. I didn't see your reply before today either and I will take your advice and ignore it. Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

rlatrelleg
New Community Member

Wanted to let PayPal know that I called the number on the Invoice the person claimed to be PayPal and wanted to get access to my phone via TeamViewer. I didn't happen, you may want to let you users know. ~[removed]~ is the number I called and a person at ~[removed]~ called me back claiming to be PayPal fraud department to help me cancel the payment request by connecting to my device. They went pretty far to try and get access to my device.

Login to Me Too

ToddP4420
New Community Member

Called the number too. He had the nerve to say "Why are you calling us and wasting our time". The nerve of these scammers...

Login to Me Too

Garyk15
New Community Member

have the same problem, i cancelled it, then i called the number and some person from india, sounding like the same scammer who was doing a microsoft scam around the time windows 10 was released. Anyways he tried to get me to install a remote app from google store. i did not and hung up on him, I did cancel the invoice. i tried to report it but i got the paypal can't do anything and sent me to the user agreement page. All i know is i will have my bank block any thing from paypal and i will disconnect my paypal from my bank if this is not delt with by paypal. This is the first time a issue like this i had to deal with. 

Login to Me Too

Medearave

Hi, 

How did you cancel the invoice? I don't see any options to do so on my mobile device or computer. I called PayPal and they couldn't tell me how to do so and said they couldn't do it. I called more than once, the first time they said it would fall off the account after 72 hours and the second said 29 days. They don't seem to have a good handle on the situation. 

Login to Me Too

SBrando
Contributor
Contributor

The first invoice I was able to cancel but only after a few hours did the option become available. The last two I received never gave me that option. I've ignored them and no money was taken out of my bank account. There still there on my activity list but that's it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.