**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

Foxaxel
Contributor
Contributor

If you have not click any link and enter your password do not worry, nothing will happen to you, you are fine.

Please have a read at this steps to identify genuine websites: https://www.wikihow.com/Find-if-a-Website-Is-Legitimate

Login to Me Too

Beverley83
So was they just hoping I would send the phone?. I'm worried now. Have changed all passwords and going to take item off gum tree
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Beverley83

Scams been ongoing for about 20 years. They try and get you to send the phone telling you that you won't see the funds in your balance until you supply a tracking number.

This is not true and once you sent the item the funds would not appear as the email would be a spoof and not from paypal.

They aren't interested in your email addy, if they can't scam you then they will move on to the next possible victim.

Just delete and ignore and if I were you sell 'cash on collection' OR within the UK only.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Foxaxel
Contributor
Contributor

Do not worry too much. The scam usually goes as I said. They will send you a fake email looking like Paypal so they expect 2 things, perhaps you send the item and perhaps you logging in the fake web they sent you so they get your email and password.

If you have not clicked any link do not worry.

1st you can usually spot thins that does not look right in the email they send.

2st It is easy to spot a fake web. eg. look for https, double check the url.

3rd if want to be paranoid, do no click links on emails, just go to your browser and enter the url yourself.

Login to Me Too

Beverley83
Ok. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

Foxaxel
Contributor
Contributor

With just an email address they cannot do much, apart from subscribing you to spam. I am assuming you have a secure password and sensible password recovery methods, if you have not then they could get your password somehow.

Login to Me Too

davidar1

Yes, me too. Almost identical wording , but as it was my very first advert using Gumtree (selling 3 pieces of furniture) I just thought someone was hot off the mark and keen to buy.

It was only when I insisted on cash on receipt or the money to be paid directly into my bank account, that I had confirmation that this was a scam. I mean, how many people do you know that are a) disabled and moving about in a wheelchair and who do not get welfare cheques directly to a designated bank account? Oh, and who would buy furniture sight unseen?

Watch out, wherever you are. Scammers are everywhere, and are VERY clued up.

Login to Me Too

WyldFyre88
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely had this happen to me recently...I wish I had done a background check..the wording and such was so suspicious..I was happy I called up Paypal and confirmed that this was a scam before sending any money and then did a bit of digging myself, which is how I got to here..

Goign to copy paste (with correct information) and report to Scamalot, which there are multiple of these reports as well.

Login to Me Too

manutd4ever

I had exactly the same issue - see email pasted below:

Sent: 20 June 2018 10:12
To: xxxx xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Civic

Thanks for your response,

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have checked through your advert and i'm fully satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to collect but would send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money, i work offshore so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent after you have received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

If that's Ok with you please get back to me with a suitable collection time.

--

Jenny <removed>

<removed>

Login to Me Too

TwinTasticMumma
Contributor
Contributor

Received this today from Zhang <removed> AKA Zhang & Sophia. Smelt a rat straight away and told them I only accept cash on pick up. Haven’t heard from her since: Cheers for the prompt responses! please consider it sold and cancel every other appointment regarding it, I am buying the it for my daughter who is getting married soon and also moving to a new house with her husband,I am read to pay your full asking price, I have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it and I will be glad if you can get back to me with some pics if available, sadly I won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities, I loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location.Regarding the payment I can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on his transaction so kindly get back to me with the information below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address or bsb and acct details: Full name: Firm Price: Telephone: Awaiting your reply soo...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.