Bank guarantee on direct debits

larrysea
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, has anyone had a problem with a direct debit with PayPal?

I have a direct debit for an annual payment to Mcafee in Feb 2022 they took a payment of 79.99. Then in may

2022 paypal allowed another payment to go through of 99.99.

I am trying to escalate this claim under the direct debit guarantee but am getting no where fast with either paypal or Mcafee.

has anyone had a similar problem with paypal or Mcafee taking more than one what is supposedly an annual one off payment

larry

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@larrysea 

If its showing as a subscription in your paypal account then that subscription just allows paypal to pay the funds when that company requests it.

They don't say 'how often' an amount is allowed.

So the issue is between you and the company involved if they are requesting your funds more times than agreed when you took out the subscription.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@larrysea 

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

larrysea
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response,the problem is that two payments have been charged with a annual direct debit in the same year I was expecting the one in February not another in June and shall be pursuing this under the direct debit bank guarantee as pay pal are not pursuing this on my behalf in fact have closed the claim despite both items showing as debits on myacount,I shall take this up with my bank and the banking ombudsman. I cannot get a response from Mcafee as you would expect.despite them saying refunds will be made?
larry

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@larrysea 

If its showing as a subscription in your paypal account then that subscription just allows paypal to pay the funds when that company requests it.

They don't say 'how often' an amount is allowed.

So the issue is between you and the company involved if they are requesting your funds more times than agreed when you took out the subscription.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.