Apparent Phishing Attempt

KG4RUL
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone received and invoice from - kay pc parts llc [removed] elizabeth pa - I have not ordered anything from them - It appears to be a residence address

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KG4RUL 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KG4RUL 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

NotR
Contributor
Contributor

I got one too, an invoice for "ultimate prototal protection" for $188.22.   No request for passwords, no fake links, just a valid PayPal invoice sent from a real PayPal domain.  I tried to report it in the Resolution Center and it just says, "We’re sorry, you can’t file a case on this type of transaction."  I forwarded the e-mail to spoof-at-paypal.com  and just got the generic "thanks for reporting" response.  I also reported it to PayPal Assistant and got "I would request you to just ignore the invoice. It may be sent by mistake."  I'm not finding a way to report this specifically as a scam to PayPal.

The address is in Pennsylvania but the phone number is a Los Angeles exchange--though that might not particularly mean anything given portability of cell phone numbers nowadays.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NotR 

Anyone can send you an invoice or money request, just cancel or ignore them if they are a mistake.

Only takes 1 letter of an email address to be incorrect for any invoice to perhaps go to another person.

Does not mean its a scam, and can't be a scam if they haven't scammed you because you have not paid the invoice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pip253
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email saying I made a payment to some unknown merchant w/a "hidden" address.  They didn't know my name jus called me 'customer'.  I did actually log in to confirm it was bogus and there was nothing there.  The stupid thing on their part was that I made the transaction at 'Tue, April 05, 2022 7:35 PM'.  I don't think so since it's almost 2pm where I am and I haven't even bought what they said I paid for!!!  Hope their karma gets em good. Please be careful and don't click any links someone sends you as stated above. 

Login to Me Too

NotR
Contributor
Contributor

This is clearly not a "mistake."  It's an attempt to extract money for a nonexistent product.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NotR 

Mistake or not, just don't pay it, cancel or ignore it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TWP1011
Contributor
Contributor

We received this same scam. Our address was Suitland, MD though, and the phone number was an 888 area code.

Login to Me Too

EvilIncarnate
New Community Member

I received an email so I logged into paypal and there was, in fact an invoice.  I cancelled it and in the cancel note I specifically said if I hear from them again I'm filing a police report (which is the appropriate thing to do when someone is trying to steal money from you).  Not sure how it will go from there, but wow, billing for "ultimate prototal protection" which is something I've never heard of and claiming to have sent money to someone called Patric [Removed]?  It's weird, and I'm surprised it was an actual invoice, but I'm sure as hell never paying it.  They also claimed it had been deducted from my bank account (but it was clear the invoice was never paid).

Login to Me Too

JohnC_1995
New Community Member

I received the same invoice from "Carol [removed]" saying that $188.34 was successfully sent to Patric [removed] for something called Ultimate Prototal Protection.

I checked my account and no funds were withdrawn, but I have an invoice here for that amount from PayPal. Here is the invoice info:

Carol [removed]

Carol [removed]

[removed]

Garwood, NJ [removed]

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.