Any kind of basic anti-fraud settings?

johnelle
Contributor
Contributor

Like most folks we only keep a Paypal account for small purchases and if one looks at our account history there is rarely anything over $50.  For this reason our bank set-up an account that is only used for Paypal and has a minimal balance.  This week some Chinese operation started charging $2700 transactions two per day.  We caught it after 5 transactions but not before accumulating a bunch over balance charges on the bank account.  Paypal has not actually said if they will reverse the Paypal charges although they are so obviously fraudulent.   

I went looking for any kind of limits you can set on an account and didn't find anything.  For example I would never charge more than $100 to Paypal.  Is there any way to set limits since PayPal clearly has no anti-fraud capability of their own?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @johnelle,

Thank you for the clarification. I regret that the feature you're describing is not available. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Aarc123
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @johnelle,
Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.
I understand that you are looking to set limits for the transaction as you do not wish to get charged and to avoid any fraud. I would request you to follow the below steps on how to set up limits for the transaction.
Go to https://www.paypal.com.
Click Activity.
Click the name of a transaction.
Click Details.
Click View payment agreement.
Click Edit Billing Limit.
Enter a limit amount and click Save. If you wish to report any scam, please click here as we have dedicated team who can investigate and assist you further. I hope this information helps.
Aarthi

Login to Me Too

johnelle
Contributor
Contributor

Don't think is what I asked for.

I am looking to set a HARD LIMIT on ALL transactions thru Paypal.  I want to be able to say that nobody can charge me more than $50 (or so) for ANY REASON.   This is necessary because PayPal doesn't seem to look at spending patterns for "fraud detection (sic)"

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @johnelle,

Thank you for the clarification. I regret that the feature you're describing is not available. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.