Alibaba will not refund our paypal payment and paypal does not care

GoneFlying
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I made a payment through Alibaba platform and processed through my Paypal account for an order. The supplier on Alibaba could however not deliver, so we agreed to cancel the transaction. This status is confirmed on Alibaba platform. Yet now Alibaba says the can not refund the payment through paypal (the way it was paid) but that we have to set up a bank account and get the transfer that way (obviously incurring high fees that will be left to us to bear). We have declined this and asked for refund of the original paypal payment. Alibaba is denying that. So we have filed a case with Paypal and asked them to get our money back. Surprisingly, Paypal is denying that claim, despite of our proof provided that everyone agrees the money is owed to us and should be refunded to us. We did provided clear proof that the amount is owed to us, but paypal closed the appeal stating:

"The case was closed in the seller’s favor as there was no documentation given to show the credit due."

We can't re-open the case and it looks like no-one cares at Paypal.

What do you recommend?

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

ArslanSaeed
Contributor
Contributor

hi, there I have a problem getting refund money from Paypal to Paypal. Some time ago I sent a huge amount of money for work but I can not be done my work. can anyone tell me how to refund the money? This is my [removed]

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hey there @GoneFlying 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum! 

I am sorry to hear this has happened, I know how concerned you must be. 

In this scenario, I would recommend opening up an 'Item Not Received Case'. From the denial reason you have stated above, I can see the case was originally opened under an alternative reason code. 

In order to request this case be reopened for Item Not Received, you will need to reach out to us directly. To contact our customer service team, click 'Help' or 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal Webpage. 

You can also contact us via Facebook PM's or Twitter DM's. 
For Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal
For Twitter: @AskPayPal

@ArslanSaeed, it sounds like you need to open up an Item Not Received case too. As it doesn't seem you have already opened up a case from your messages, please see the steps on how to do this here: What should I do if I have a problem with my PayPal purchase?

If you both would like to review PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy, you can do so here: Buyer Protection - PayPal 

I hope this helps, have a nice day! 

Rebecca 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

GoneFlying
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to do this. Although I am disappointed that paypal would not help me with the "refund not received" resolution applied after not receiving the refund. I hope it will work now!

Login to Me Too

GoneFlying
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal says they can not change the case to a "not received". Following reply:

"you can not change the case PP-D-********* for "item not received". In the case you mentioned that you received a poor quality item, therefore you received an item.

If you still have the item in your hands, and you can give me a detailed description of what you ordered and if there are any significant differences to the seller's item description, we can change your claim reason to "not as described" and proceed as described, if you like."

It doesn't make sense. I never received anything, so I won't be able to show how it is not as described - I simply don't have anything! This is becoming very ridiculous with paypal - they are far from professional in handling this. I simply got nothing and they will not help me get my money from Alibaba (who are totally shady here too).
How can it be that I paid with paypal, trusting them as a "buyer", and now I am left with a loss of 1'600$? This story needs a better ending..
Login to Me Too

ChrisRoberts69
Contributor
Contributor
I am so happy I decided to research this before ordering through PayPal, PayPal seem to be getting worse, I remember when PayPal used to Refund no matter what (If it was a genuine buyer issue) now it seems that they are trying to wriggle out of their promises, Their is literally hundreds of cases like this, I’m considering closing my PayPal account as if they are not giving me one thing I use them for, Theirs no point in using them
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

edited

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230605d
Contributor
Contributor

I had a claim denied in which I canceled a subscription to ANIMOTO.   It was an automatic renewal which I was NOT aware of.   ANIMOTO said they would refund my money if I closed the PAYPAL case.    I called PAYPAL and asked for advice; they told me TO NOT CLOSE the case.   So I did not, then PAYPAL denied my claim in favor of ANIMOTO.  Due to their advice, I have lost about $200.00.   Maybe I will submit this to Judge Judy/ Judy Justice.    I used to think Paypal offered a double layer of protection, but I see they do not.   I will be canceling all the methods of paying with PAYPAL after this.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.