AliExpress, AliPay and cost prohibitive returns that PayPal can't help with

GuillaumeD84
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased 4 battery cells for $475 from AliExpress, advertised as Grade A cells. After months of waiting, I received the cells. They were slightly swollen (already not Grade A) and I quickly realized that their original production QR codes were sanded/grinded off and covered with a sticker. These 4 cells were reconditioned cells, therefore automatically making them NOT Grade A.

When I first brought it up to the seller, they disputed this and offered a 10% discount. Then I filed a dispute with AliExpress. Everyone agreed that the cells were clearly not as described, however I would need to return the cells for a refund. I reviewed AliExpress' policy for returns and they claim the seller is responsible for shipping when an item is not as described. When I mentioned this to the seller, they categorically refused to cover shipping costs regardless of how many screenshots or copies of AliExpress policy I shared with them. Shipping quotes I got at the time were anywhere between $300 to $1,200 (it's a 70lb box that needs to be returned to China). They refuse to issue a shipping label.

Having no confidence that I'd see my shipping money back, I eventually filed a dispute PayPal. After providing all the evidence proving the cells aren't as described (including AliExpress resolution confirming this), along with transcripts of my conversations with the sellers refusing to cover shipping costs, PayPal closed the case in favor of AliPay (aka AliExpress).

Apparently, PayPal can't do anything more than tell me I have to ship the return and (hope) that the seller reimburses my shipping expenses. I'm relatively confident I'd get my $475 back for the cells but I have no confidence I'd get the several hundred dollars back for shipping. Not only that but this has also been taking way too much of my time and efforts and has drastically delayed my projects for using these cells.

While some will say "you should've known better than buying cells from AliExpress," the point of the matter is that there is a system in place for them to move these non-grade A cells and use the cost prohibitive return fees as a barrier against returns. And when a case is filed, PayPal has no choice but to side with the seller because these costs way too much to return and for the customer to eat up that cost. I imagine this is happening with tons of other items that aren't necessarily heavy battery cells. This is not OK.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @GuillaumeD84,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum and thanks for posting!

I am sorry to know about what has happened. If you're not happy with the decision of the dispute, you can certainly appeal the case by selecting a closed case in the resolution center within 10 days from the dispute closed date. Here's the help center article to appeal. Check this link to know more about PayPal Free shipping, if the payment was made via PayPal.

Regards,

Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

GuillaumeD84
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about the 10 day appeal threshold, so I missed it... Do you know of a way to ask if a case can be re-opened beyond the 10 day period? What's frustrating is that, despite nothing being necessarily against PayPal's policy, it's incredibly easy to get scam on these types of transactions (where shipping costs make returns unrealistic). It's unfortunate because I now have MUCH less confidence in PayPal protecting my transactions, which in turns makes me less likely to use PayPal... I used to feel like making a transaction with PayPal was a form of peace of mind.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the PayPal Free Shipping system allows for return shipping costs of up to $30... These cells would cost upwards of $300 in shipping to return.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.