Alaskan King Crab Scam

SteveinNY
Contributor
Contributor

I responded to an advertisement that appeared in my Facebook thread for fresh Alaskan King Crabs shipped right to your door at phenomentally low prices.

The link went to the website [Removed]   Only option for payment was Paypal.  It appears I got scammed out of $45.  The phone numbers on the order confirmation are not working.  There is no response to the email I sent to the company.  It appears they are in China.  Has anybody else been bitten by this scam??

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello everyone! 

It sounds like a recent purchase hasn't gone quite as you had planned and you're looking into opening a dispute. In this situation, opening a dispute to have PayPal review the matter is definitely the right call. There are few different types of disputes, so please make sure you're opening the right one for your specific situation. If you received an item but it wasn't what you expected, you'll want to open a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) case. If you did not receive your item at all, you'll want to open an Item Not Received (INR) case. 

You can find more information on the Dispute Process by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page, then "Disputes and account limitations", then "Disputes", then "Dispute a payment". If you run into any speed-bumps along the way, scroll to the bottom of that page and select "Call Us" (when available) or "Message us". 

I hope that helps. Cheers to you all and good luck with your case, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
104 REPLIES 104

Mmadwwax
Contributor
Contributor

I was suspicious from the start, but my greed and glutton for that delicious crab made me continue.  I was suspicious of the Paypal transaction so I instead entered in my credit card information directly, in case of scam it would make it easier to dispute.  I opted for the 3 day shipping, charged like $77 to my card.  5 days later still no crab.  Phone number goes to voicemailbox that is full.  Paypal requires my password or last 4 digits of ss to dispute, but I didn't charge through paypal... so I'm not giving them my info.  I disputed with my credit card co and they are processing.  I know it will come out in my favor and they will be chargeback'ed, but it is a hassle.  

Login to Me Too

DeltaDil
Contributor
Contributor

I too thought maybe I could for once enjoy a special treat... Dang idiots got my money and I got nothing. I going to contact my bank and see what I can do.

Login to Me Too

LOOTYBIRD
Contributor
Contributor
There is a legit Alaska King Crab company but the scam one tries to imitate their brand name or changes names. I guess the best way is to see if the price is too good to be realistic or really do research on the company
Login to Me Too

Rocinante01
Contributor
Contributor
I’m quite good at spotting as an, but I can’t believe this one got me. $64.90 for 15# of king crab. What was I thinking??? So, this is how it went for me: Also ordered off an ad on FB. Never received an order confirmation or tracking number. Took me a few days to find the site I purchased from, tried logging into the account I created (which was probably used to phish my info!) and it didn’t work. There was no customer service email or number. The website vanished from existence about two hours later. Another identical on popped up. Vanished a day or two later. I filed my complaint with PayPal and reported fraud on the credit card I used to pay through PayPal, just in case PP sides with the seller. Found out the vendor is listed as a CLOTHING COMPANY!!! They have no business selling king crab. They responded with tracking info stating the package was delivered to my door yesterday at 4:49PM. I was home yesterday with the door wide open. No such package arrived. I would have received a text alert from USPS if the package was there to begin with! So, they are using fraudulent tracking numbers as well. I’m still awaiting a response from PP and it should be quite clear that this is a pretty big scam and a little google research you’ll find lots of reports of the same exact thing happening. But, PP has been known to not bother to do their homework and side with the vendor as long as they have provided tracking info. At that point it’s time to get on the phone and yell at them because they are allowing theft to happen while using their service. That’s why PP has fallen out of graces with people so fast over the last year or two.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220311S

LOOTYBIRD
Contributor
Contributor
There are a lot of crab legs scams going on.. mine was Alaska King Crab company buy they've already switched names.. I was getting frustrated with PayPal response but when I got to an actual representative they were great and refunded my latest purchase
Login to Me Too

1978captain
Contributor
Contributor

I GOT SCAMMED BY ALASKA KING CRAB COMPANY TOO FOR $ 80.00

RAN ALL AROUND pp WEBSITE IN CIRCLES AS THEY AVOIDED PROVIDING AN ON-LINE SOLUTION.

WHEN I TRIED TO CANCEL PAYPAL ACCOUT, I GOT A MSG "TOO BUSY TO ASSIST YOU NOW. COME BACK LATER.

REQUEST YOU POST TO THE COMMUNITY THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE PP AGENT WHO GOT YOU RESOLUTION

Login to Me Too

LOOTYBIRD
Contributor
Contributor
I just called the PP customer service number..
Login to Me Too

1978captain
Contributor
Contributor

my pay in 4 transaction dispute response from PayPal

"

We're sorry, you can't file a case on this type of transaction.

"back to resolution center"

then i get this BS "The file type (.undefined) is not supported"

h

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.