Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

blamela
New Community Member

I got a similar message, just like Danomite said. Supposed to be named Alice Good. A complete SCAM!! I searched the name in the company's LinkedIn, and the name didn't appear at all! I should have played with them a little bit...

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it??. I wanted to buy this for my son in Fiji, but the issue is I am away at sea at the moment, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will get it to my son's location safely.

If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information below to proceed with the payment.

1) More pictures
2) What is the condition?
3) Are you the Original Owner?
4) Your final asking price ?
5) Your PayPal Email Address
6) Your Picked Up Location Address

Get back to me with your address so i can forward to the shipping company to schedule an appointment with you for pick up. I have a private pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made. So i look forward to hear from you soon

Login to Me Too

benimurataj
Contributor
Contributor

and i got the same message from a lady in america. check out her message.

message from Mrs. luiza (removed)

Okay thank you.I’m satisfied with the condition. I won't be able to come and view it myself because I am currently away for work.but if can you guarantee that it is in a good condition, I will meet up with your last price for it. I know there are other buyers patronizing you already. This is more reason why i would like to get this as soon as possible.i will pay you through PayPal as it is the fastest & easiest way for me to make payment at this moment, do not worry about PayPal charges, i will take care of that and about the transportation, i shall arrange for a transport agent to come to your home directly for the pickup and transport it to my home in Delaware American ) after i have made all the necessary payment and you have confirmed this on your account.

So if you accept this transaction, you should send me your info requested below if you have an account already with PayPal:-

Name :

PayPal Email :

Mobile Number

Amount:

so that i can proceed with the transfer and then we can arrange for my shipping company  come for the pick up, after you receive your money. I will need the address for the pick up to be arranged.

i expect your reply soon. 

Thank you

my question is, is she able to send the money to me, take the car and then ask paypal for the money back, as long as she didn't like the car, or she was damaged etc etc etc etc. 

how should i act to secure paypal, and not to cheat on that lady, get my car, and money back.

thank the paypal community!

Login to Me Too

Biancamn
Contributor
Contributor
I’m having the same issue, but the number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]texting me the same info. Horrible people.
Login to Me Too

fraserct

Posted to AutoTrader and was contacted quickly. First I received a text from New Jersey when I'm in New Brunswick: Hello, I saw your vehicle advert on Autotrader, do you still have it up for sale? Kindly email me as I am at work now. <removed>. Steve <removed> an email: Thank you for the prompt response, i just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out. I'm comfortable with the information you listed, I will buy for the asking price, payment will be sent using PayPal, i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well funds will clear in your account before pickup. In the meantime can you send me more pictures if available? My thoughts: I'm not aware of the surcharge, so started looking at potential scams and found this post. I've just responded that I can't do PayPal. We'll see what they say. I apologize for the lack of line breaks - they don't seem to stay when I post.

Login to Me Too

Txriverratt
New Community Member
I’ve read about all the possible scams using PayPal for a car purchase but my buyer says he is fine with me not giving him the car and title until funds clear. Is that somehow a scam? Does anyone know how long funds take to clear?
Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY! All these people instantly responding to an ad, sometimes within 10 minutes of it being placed are crooks! Never give out your Paypal or other info to these scammers. They know how to sound legitimate but they aren't! Delete their info and never communicate with them again. They may also say they'll send a certified check, which will be a forgery/counterfeit. Sell it to local people who show up with cash or willing to go to THEIR bank with you to get certified funds. If it sounds too good to be true, like a sale after 10 minutes of the ad coming out, it is too good to be legit. 

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor
I still wouldn’t go ahead they could either raise a case (not as described/ not received and possibly win the money back or it could be a stolen account
Login to Me Too

ScamMurder

i've got a guy now, thru texts, from a facebook marketplace ad. he wants a friend to look at the car, then use paypal before his friend trailers the car.

it's a rare car, so i understand getting out-of-state interest. so i responded: "sure...friends and family."

he doesn't want to do that. says "he and i are protected with standard paypal." i laughed, and told him: "there's no protection for you with car transactions" ... "and there's no protection for me if you used an illicit means of payment"

once someone is more concerned with paypal than the car, kick them to the curb. it's not worth the time chatting. on top of that, you might get a chargeback from a credit card company that just bypasses the paypal methods anyway. is it worth that potential headache?

if someone is buying a car. they are not going to do it blind.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.