Account hacked and deleted, had to re-register to get help.

icedan

• My account was registered in May 2012.

• I used it briefly each year since then.

• Nobody has access to my phone or my computer and these are the only two places I have ever had these accounts signed into.

Today, I received an email from paypals service email address (yes, the real one) at 2:48pm stating:

---------

2-step verification is now activated for your PayPal account

Every time you log in, enter your password as well as a one-off code you'll receive at *******7975.

---------

I did not do this, and I do not know the phone number.

Following this email, I received the activated emails.

At 2:49pm I got the "Grow your business with PayPal" email.

Also at 2:49pm I received an email stating:

---------

You've added a new email address to your PayPal account

This is to confirm that you've added a new email address (< suspicious email address >) to your PayPal account.

---------

I do not know this email address at all.

At 2:53pm I received another email stating:

---------

2-step verification is now activated for your PayPal account

---------

This ended the suspicious emails. I learned of these emails when I checked gmail approximately 6 hours later.

• When I attempted to login to resolve the issue, PayPal stated that I did not have an account registered with them with my email address.

• Because I could not login to resolve the issue, I contacted help "as a guest", this led me down a path with a number, which I called, but received no help as no one was available. (I suppose Xmas and Boxing Days are the perfect time to hack someone's account).

• Left with no choice but to re-register my account, I did so, and posted the information here with the hopes that someone can lead me in the right direction to help me get my account back to its normal state, and in addition help me find out what happened exactly.

Cheers for any help.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.