Account hacked and Details were changed

MautonKahvi
Contributor
Contributor

My old account's details were changed without my authorization a week ago and only saw email about it today. I try to report it and it asks me to log in but since my emails and passwords are changed I cant login, request password reset, forgotten email or anything. I even had to make another account to ask for help in here. Since PayPal doesnt have any live support via message I'm thinking about calling them on Monday.

I do have information saved that could prove some of my old account details and past transactions and emails about my details being changed.

Does anyone know what I should to do at least delete or access my old account?  Because I'm worried about my linked bank and credit card on old account.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

tammycha
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same probelm with you, it happened two days ago.

What I did is I called to my bank to cancel the credit card and close the bank account since I couldn't contact any PayPal person to help me.

They should have 24 hours emergency call to help such cases.

I don't know if I'm considered lucky as I'm not a PayPal frequent user and I don't have a big amount of money in my account.

I don't even know whether the email they sent to me regarding someone is adding a new email & adding 2-step verification to my account is a Fraud.

If the email is real, and the link inside the email doesn't help at all. As the account was already hijacked and even I click the forgotten password, the email cannot be used anymore. I'm pretty sure my email was removed from the account.

How come our account can be hacked so easily? And why our email address can be so easily removed from the account? Shouldn't be some verification steps or holding time or security protection before removing the primary email? This is a big security problem from PayPal, I really hope PayPal can investigate this seriously.

This is such a very terrible experience although I seldom use PayPal but I just like keep it and some of transaction might need PayPal.

And I felt dissapointed that your Help doesn't really help at all.

After this, I will blacklist PayPal if they couldn't give me a good solution on this case.

Login to Me Too

tammycha1
Contributor
Contributor

@MautonKahvi 

Hello I just get back my account and using my first account to reply on this forum. 

I tried logging in using the new email address that hackers add. I believe you should receive an notification email that someone is adding a new email address to your account. Then I click forgotten password.

There're 3 verification ways: 

1. Security Questions

2. Type the linked credit card full number ( The hacker doesn't remove my credit card but I never try this as I feel it's a bit risky to do so)

3. Verification via Mobile (I'm very lucky as my mobile still be the primary mobile number)

So I used the 3rd way to verify and able to change the password.

After that, I tried logging in using the new password. But they had setup the 2-step verification, so I just click troubling log in and using the verification code sent to my mobile to log in.

Yes! I successfully log in to my account. Then I quickly unlink the bank account and credit card

(Although I had called my bank to remove my credit card and close bank account, but I think it's still better to do so)

And my email address was removed.

Luckily my mobile number still there, this is IMPORTANT that made me successfully get my account back.

Anyway I'm going to close PayPal account soon. Their security is so terrible.

Login to Me Too

MautonKahvi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. 
I did try your way to log in to account with hackers email and then doing the forgotten password. But sadly they had changed my email to two other emails that I dont own and 2 other mobile numbers too and I don't have option for the security question. On my mobile phone that I logged on my old account is logged out due the detail change but I still can see the old email and my name there.

Also where did you see it's possible to log in with your credit card number on the account. Can you elaborate on this?

I have also canceled my old credit and and bank accounts that were directly connected to the account.

Login to Me Too

tammycha1
Contributor
Contributor

@MautonKahvi 

This is the security check shown on my end after I click forgotten password.

PayPal2.PNG

Login to Me Too

MautonKahvi
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly I had no option like that when I pressed forgotten password. Pretty weird.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.