Account Limitations: What You Need to Know

PayPal_Mark
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Keeping your business and customers safer

To ensure PayPal remains a safer place for enabling payments, we regularly review all accounts. Sometimes, limitations may be placed on your PayPal account, which could restrict you from completing certain actions: such as withdrawing, spending, or receiving money. Limitations are in place to help protect all our customers, and in some cases to meet our regulatory obligations. Protecting your account and money is important to us.

Account Limitations: What might cause it, and how to help avoid it?

If your PayPal account is limited, you may be unable to withdraw, send or receive money. There are a number of reasons why your account could be limited:

Suspicious & unusual activity

• We suspect someone could be using your account without your knowledge.
  • Your bank alerts us that someone has used your credit/debit card linked to your account without your permission.
  • There are unexpected changes to your selling activities such as a sudden increase in your typical sales volume.

In such cases, we do what it takes to protect you from potential fraud prompted by the unusual activity– through limiting your account, and investigating.

You can safeguard your personal information and help protect yourself against fraud through some simple measures.  For example, don’t enter your personal or financial details when describing items for sale or in response to emails, and log out of sites you’ve entered your personal information into.

Regulatory reasons or business is not compliant

Your account could be limited for regulatory reasons. For example, India PayPal sellers need to include additional information to be able to accept payments in their account. Also, reaching a certain transaction value in your account may trigger a limit, which can also be removed by providing information required to PayPal.

There are also restrictions on what a PayPal account can be used to accept (and make) payments for. For example, PayPal doesn't allow the sale of counterfeit goods or banned items. So, ensure that your business is compliant with PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy .

Increased buyer issues

An increase of complaints, claims and chargebacks from buyers can lead to account limitations.

Following some simple guidelines can help you improve your performance and reduce the likelihood of limitations. Overall, communication is key. You should:

• Provide detailed product descriptions and photos.
  • Be upfront about policies such as shipping and returns.
  • Ship orders promptly and track shipments.
  • Respond quickly to any messages from buyers.
  • Work to amicably resolve any problems.
  • Ship to the address provided in the transaction details page.
  • Use quality shipping materials to prevent damage.

Removing limitations

If your PayPal account is limited, here’s what happens:

1. We’ll email you to let you know –  we’ll ask you to log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre for details on how to resolve the issue quickly, usually by providing information.
  2. Once you’ve submitted the information required, we’ll review and reply via email.
  3. We’ll remove the limitations once we have verified your account. At times, limitations can be removed by simply changing your security questions and password.

Here are the types of information and documents we may need from you:

- Supplier’s invoice with contact information

This helps us determine the inventory source and validate that you have the items that you’re selling in stock.

- Payment information

When an invoice is unavailable, we’ll review the following information about your payments:

• The item or service that was sold
  • The buyer’s name and shipping address
  • Proof of shipment to verify that an order was delivered

- Shipping or Tracking information

This helps us to verify that customer orders are being fulfilled.

- Proof of business
This provides evidence of a valid business registration and business ownership.

- Information for India sellers
This is to comply with our India regulatory obligations. Provide a valid PAN, a local bank account and the purpose code in your PayPal account task board.

- Proof of address such as bank statement or utility bill, Proof of identity such as passport or driver’s license
This helps us verify your identity when there is unusual account activity or to comply with regulations.

Once you’ve submitted your information, look out for any more emails from us as we may need additional details. We’ll do our best to confirm your information and remove the limitation within 2 business days, but sometimes it can take a little longer.

Quick Tip: If your PayPal account is limited, don’t open a new account. It could be traced back to the limited account.  It’s always best to resolve the limitation. We will guide you through it and restore full access to your PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Login to Me Too
1,052 REPLIES 1,052

Holdingmycool
Contributor
Contributor
Omg that's horrible, they keep telling me they're going to hold mine for a hundred and eighty days **bleep**ed up my bills aren't going to wait 6 months can't stand PayPal anymore
Login to Me Too

Visolara
Contributor
Contributor

**Posted on Community Board as well**

I just created my account, added my CC and verified it via the small deposit. When I went to send money for a purchase, it required I "Link" a payment method (Why did I put my CC in if it now wants me to link one?!?!?). So I link the same CC (Why wouldn't I?). After this, it put me into a "temporary limited" state and asked me to upload a photo ID. I do, and a day later its still in this limited state. Why is this so difficult? All I want to do is send $25 to someone for a purchase, and this has been the most non-intuitive tool I have ever used.

Is there some help I can get? I called the helpline, and they will call back in 2 hours. Is typical practice for PayPal?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Roelcastro
Contributor
Contributor

i need help because of my account  i don`t know if reason about the limitation but i saw my notification to my account is resolve account issues but every time i clicked the notification i am always to home summary i`ll try to message many times the customer services but they didn`t understand what i`m saying.

Login to Me Too

Dlburkes
Contributor
Contributor
They are just a robot you are talking to when you send a message! If you notice it says the same thing with any response you type in.
Login to Me Too

Holdingmycool
Contributor
Contributor
Okay so what do I do if when they told me they needed more information I emailed them my driver's license and my social security card well my driver's license don't have my actual address on it cuz I haven't went and changed it I don't pay bills that are in my name so I couldn't send that in I sent everything that I could to show them that I was who I said I am I told them they could go on ID. Me and verify me and they let me put a bank account on there and then when I put the bank account on there they locked it up completely and told me that they're going to close down my account because suspicious activity and then I called them a few times and they just keep saying the same thing suspicious activity and so I've had this account for a little over a year well a little over a year it has been the same same amount of payments every two weeks same amount did I transfer to my other card all the time once I get my two weeks payment I transfer it to my other card text Lee and it's been the same way for a little over a year same amount of money going in same amount of money coming out and I've never sold nothing on PayPal but yet they're telling me that I need to refund my customers I don't have any customers so who the hell are they trying to get me to send my money off to, and they're also telling me that on top of locking up my account and closing it that my $816 that's in there needs to be refunded to my customers which I don't have because that's my money and they're also telling me I can never use PayPal again which that's fine with me whatever PayPal sucks anyway but my $816 I would **bleep**ing like that back because it is my money and they didn't earn it so why should I have to refund it to anybody that didn't earn it or didn't send it to me I need help I don't care if I can ever use PayPal again ever but I need help getting my $800 oh yeah they're trying to tell me they're going to hold my $800 for a hundred and eighty days that's six months I have rent and bills to pay and my landlord ain't going to be too happy with your PayPal is holding my money for 180 days so so what do I do to get my money back I don't even care about getting in my account or getting my account back I just want my money what do I do please help
Login to Me Too

oektaw
Contributor
Contributor

I've sent my national ID card AND a boating licence with my address printed on them (as proof of address), both expiring well into the future (2027 and 2024), and they both got rejected because they are expired. Any idea why? I've sent a total of three documents for the identity verification process: passport, national ID card with address on it, ICC licence with address on it. This is terribly frustrating since I've currently got 1700 euro locked into the account and I really need it.

Login to Me Too

iTesla
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I had similar problem as many like you, many of my files were rejected.

The documents which solved my account limitation was CC statement and CC requisites which were provided by my local Bank, i had to go and ask in person and they put a fresh STAMP on both of them, after i provided to PP staff in the chat my account limit was resolved after a couple of days.
Hope this helps you people to resolve your cases.

Login to Me Too

oektaw
Contributor
Contributor

Too bad that's not an option for me. I'm in a foreign country so there's no way I'm going to get anything stamped from the bank 😞
Also, I needed the money urgently to pay for my new stay permit... I wanted to transfer them using paypal so I don't have to wait for regular bank transfer. I'll be in so much trouble if this is not fixed I can't even begin to imagine.

Login to Me Too

Agnes871
Contributor
Contributor
  • I have proof my Kenya Id with my government revenue pin but the  reject it.i do not have bank account that why a choose to work wit paypal and one more thing i leave in a rental house that you give the only the money for water cash and we buy light with mpesa 
Login to Me Too

NinjaOng
Contributor
Contributor

Account has been limited for months, if not more than a year now. Submitted all my documents, the status is still 

"Thank you for providing the required information. We’ll get back to you within a few business days."

Ya, thanks PayPal. Great customer service you have here, hope other newer remittance services have taken over and made you obsolete coz you've really been doing a terrible job keeping up. Thanks for all those early years of you being awesome with ebay and all but please retire now. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.