Abandoned email address

MacDithers
Contributor
Contributor

I sent my son some money using the email address I had on file, unbeknownst to me, one he had abandoned and is no longer associated with PayPal. The transaction went through but not to his account. I opened a dispute which was immediately denied because I chose ‘unauthorized transaction’, only because that was the only option available in order to proceed. How can I find out what bank account received the money?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MacDithers 

What is the status of the payment? Pending/Unclaimed with or without a Cancel option? Or Completed?

The reason you have limited dispute options is because you sent a friends and family payment (gift payment, no purchase protection) which is why it’s important to always ensure the email address is correct before finalizing payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MacDithers 

What is the status of the payment? Pending/Unclaimed with or without a Cancel option? Or Completed?

The reason you have limited dispute options is because you sent a friends and family payment (gift payment, no purchase protection) which is why it’s important to always ensure the email address is correct before finalizing payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MacDithers
Contributor
Contributor
The payment cleared my bank. I imagine it credited my son’s account but he wasn’t notified because he no long had the email address. He is snow camping right now - off grid, so when hr comes back he’ll double check. Thanks
Login to Me Too

MacDithers
Contributor
Contributor

I waited a few days to see if these funds would appear in my son’s account…. or perhaps returned to my account, they did not. I asked PayPal for the name of the financial institution and account number the funds were deposited into and they have denied my request. I understand because of the ‘friends and family’ benefit I am not entitled to a full investigation of this matter, but I think I am at least entitled to that information. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.