1099-C

ccjpol
Contributor
Contributor

I received a 1099-C from PayPal Credit today.  After researching myself, I confirmed what I already knew, that I hadn't even USED my credit account in over two years, and the last time I accessed it at all was to pay it in full--again, over two years ago.  I am very upset about this because I work in finance, and anything like this that WAS actually reported to the IRS (whether incorrect or not) would be a real problem for me.  There is a phone number for questions, however, it goes to a voice mail.  I left only my name and phone number.  Further research shows that there are a large number of people who have received this, telling me that PayPal has had yet another data breach.  This is very upsetting, and I don't understand why PayPal doesn't have better data security, this has happened several times with PayPal accounts! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @HeatherRJ, @Tiff1112, @air2023, @CampC2C, @Dungey22, @SeanMarcel, @Urmama, @Omegajb, and @Temp20230201B,

Thank you all for your posts in the Community Forum, and welcome or welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear that there was confusion regarding a 1099-C. There was an error that caused the documents to have the main Customer Service number instead of the appropriate number for the group that services questions relating to the debt cancellation, but other than that, the numbers listed in this linked article about 1099-Cs are the correct ways to contact for any corrections or to report that the debt is not yours.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
60 REPLIES 60

HeatherRJ
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found out about this Paypal Europe 1099c? It looks fake and other people have reported the issue in the past. My spouse received one this year. Just curious.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230201B
New Community Member
I received one today as well. After contacting an accountant friend of ours and doing some of our own research, my wife and I believe this is fake. The only thing that concerns me though is if they got ahold of my SS#....
Login to Me Too

Tiff1112
New Community Member
I received one today as well.
Login to Me Too

HeatherRJ
Contributor
Contributor
It is worrying that they might have our SS. But my husband also pointed out that they could have just the last 4 digits. I would like to know if PayPal had some sort of a data breach.
Login to Me Too

air2023
Contributor
Contributor

I got one too,today. Im also wondering about a breach 😞

Login to Me Too

Dungey22
New Community Member
Looks like in December they had one.
Login to Me Too

HeatherRJ
Contributor
Contributor
According to Fox News there was one between 6th - 8th of December that got personal and private info including tax ids. They said PayPal made anyone affected change their passwords. I asked my husband and he said they made him change his but he thought it was something they make you do from time to time. I haven’t had too, sooooo…..
Login to Me Too

CampC2C
Contributor
Contributor
I just got the letter today. Has PayPal said anything?
Login to Me Too

SeanMarcel
New Community Member
I got one today as well....
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.