Why are reported unauthorized transactions handled as they are?

HoW8
Contributor
Contributor

I don’t see why PayPal could be made to repay unauthorized third-party transactions without specifically offering fraud protection. Yet I am seeing from the Community that Paypal often closes likely fraud/scam cases by finding reported unauthorized transactions to be "authorized".  I find this dismissive response to be insulting. Why not acknowledge a PayPal user's situation and honestly state that PayPal does not help with fraud or potential fraud situations? I was not sure what paypal could or would do about the series of 3 suspect transactions suddenly  appearing on my  account. But I could see the pattern, since confirmed  by  searching the BBB. (Turns out that I  could not even show PayPal this pattern because only one  transaction appears on my claim though  I reported all three to the agent.)

I am thankful the new Paypal Key was used and could be quickly cancelled.  My bank  account is safe.  Thank you, Paypal !

Still, why does PayPal insist, even through appeal, that these transactions are not unauthorized? The initial finding gave the reason as being consistent with my purchasing history, which i could easily refute if afforded an opportunity. Why this need to “deny” even the possibility that a transaction is unauthorized by shifting  attention to a user’s history? I did not expect PayPal fo reimburse me. I simply sought any assistance PayPal might give.  I also thought reporting a potential scam helpful.  A process for reporting unauthorized activity does exist. But for what reason?

As I  said at the onset, while I do not hold PayPal to repay my loss, I find its response insultingly dismissive. Is there a liability issue that I am unaware of involved here? In business and government I have observed that a meaningless process that leads to rude, irrelevant outcomes is usually inspired by a desire to avoid responsibility. I have relied on Paypal for decades, since its inception. It is a little disappointing the think it might be big enough, corporate enough, to consider it okay to treat its users with disregard. I would find it uncomfortable to hold PayPal responsible for my being scammed. (My first time  ever!)
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

HoW8
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to post  this  followup soon after the actual resolution, but my reply would not post. Hopefully it will this time.

I am not certain who or what prompted the email  I  received  telling me my appeals claim had been denied.   It turned out that Paypal refunded the unauthorized transactions i had reported, plus one that came in just after I had submitted  the appeal.

This was my first experience with unauthorized activity and  confirms why I have trusted Paypal for decades.   Thank you Paypal!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

HoW8
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to post  this  followup soon after the actual resolution, but my reply would not post. Hopefully it will this time.

I am not certain who or what prompted the email  I  received  telling me my appeals claim had been denied.   It turned out that Paypal refunded the unauthorized transactions i had reported, plus one that came in just after I had submitted  the appeal.

This was my first experience with unauthorized activity and  confirms why I have trusted Paypal for decades.   Thank you Paypal!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.