Paypal fraud, unauthorized access from my PC

Esppse
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone

On July 4th, I noticed 2 unauthorized charges on my Paypal account. Within about 5 minutes, I filed a dispute online, saying that those charges to the account were unauthorized. A couple hours later, I received an email from PayPal saying that there was no unauthorized access. I was shocked to receive that information, seeing that I am to only person with access to my account.

The next day, I called PayPal to dispute the result of the conclusion, as well as I contacted my bank. The charges were a breach on PayPal, through my linked Wells Fargo card. PayPal said that there was no unauthorized use and that the login came from my IP address that I used to make other purchases on the past.

On the day the charges appeared, by Chrome browser was acting strangely. I opened it, then it closed immediately. I repeated and opened it again, and it closed right in front of my eyes again. It has never done that before. The third time I opened it, it stayed open. I proceeded to check my email as usual, and that's when I discovered the 2 unauthorized charges. These charges add up to about $4000.

The hacker also sent fake receipts to my secondary email address, which led to a website that sells doll like figurines. My shipping address was used by the hacker to cover his tracks. My Chrome browser has autofill, which is probably how my credentials were stolen, my name, address, and PayPal passwords are saved for quicker checkouts, because I use PayPal very often.

I have since changed my email passwords, bank account passwords, PayPal passwords, and enrolled the 2 step verification. I am afraid that there was remote access control of my PC. I don't know how to explain what happened, and I have not turned on my PC since that day.

On the 8th of July, the fraudulent seller updated the fake sale with bogus FedEx tracking numbers. One saying a delivery on the 7th, one saying a delivery on the 8th. The crazy this is nothing showed up at my door! On the tracking information, it said a delivery was made in my hometown.

So I called FedEx and explained the situation to them. It turns out the name and address of the fake shipments were sent to someone else and somewhere else. The goal was to make it look like I received items I never purchased.

I have been in repeated communications with PayPal, but they still refuse to reimburse me for the breach, saying that over and over again that it was from my IP, despite all the evidence I have brought forward; the fact I filed a dispute as humanly possible to put a hold on the charges; and that I've been a PayPal user for 15 years. This is against paypals policies which clearly stated that unauthorized purchases are protected against. I guess they are trying to deny and hassle me because of the large amount under dispute. Regardless of how much it was, I reacted as fast as possible, and PayPal were the ones that let this hacker get away with it. My bank is still examining the dispute on their end. But since the breach was on Paypals end, it is PAYPALs responsibility, especially since I reported the charges 5 minutes after they happened.

They are legally obligated my their policies to reimburse under these conditions.

I have been disgusted by the handling of this situation and the refusal of the claims appeal, whilst they let the guilty criminal go free.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this process?

Thank you

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Esppse

Thank you for the post and welcome to our community forum!

Sorry to hear about the unauthorized transaction in your PayPal account. Don’t worry, we offer full protection for confirmed unauthorized transactions. In this situation, your best option would be to contacting our Customer Care department. You can contact us by clicking the contact us option at the bottom of PayPal page or send us a message through our Twitter(@AskPayPal) and Facebook page for additional assistance.

I hope this information helps.

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Markshark
Contributor
Contributor
I'm in the same boat they refuse to refund and let criminals go. Get a VPN or sign up with LifeLock. Then you don't have to deal with PayPal their layers will plus your bank laywers. Fraud is fraud and should be punished.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.