Am i being scammed?

Nz_Craze
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, i need help/advice asap please! Ive sold a product on fb and the buyer wants to do the payment through paypal. The person asked if i could send him a paypal request, so i assumed that would be a payment request. I had sent this to the person and let them know i done it. Unfortunately i accidentally canceled the request 10mins-15mins later cause i thought we had to applied for sellers protection before sending the request. However i received an email from the buyer with directions for posting the product but also an email from paypal. The email i got from 'paypal' came as receipt Similar to a paper invoice stating that the buyer had made the payment of the phone hes buying from me, ($1.2k) plus the shipping amount ($150) as well. It states that i have to send the tracking number before i receive the money. Is this a scam? I also noticed that the transaction number from the payment request i sent him on paypal, is different to the transaction number on the invoice/receipt i received via email. My paypal also shows no other activity/transactions apart from the one i accidentally canceled
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nz_Craze 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and ask you to send a money request so that they then have your email address to send fake emails.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Nz_Craze
Contributor
Contributor
This person also wants me to send the product overseas to new york. And is adamant that the payment was taking out of his credit card and that i need to follow the instructions from paypal
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nz_Craze 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and ask you to send a money request so that they then have your email address to send fake emails.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.