Why is txn_type unexpectedly "cart" instead of "web_accept"?

LeonardChallis
New Community Member

We have standard form integration to take PayPal payments. We also have a notification url setup for IPN. We get "web_accept" txn_type entries in these and use that to distinguish it from anything else like a dispute getting setup which we don't currently handle via the API. But we've got some recently where it's not "web_accept" but instead "cart" and we're trying to understand why.

The docs say "cart" is:

Payment received for multiple items; source is Express Checkout or the PayPal Shopping Cart.

We don't use express checkout or the shopping cart anywhere.

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi @LeonardChallis

Unfortunately this is a known issue that our developers are working to resolve at the moment.

No ETA for a resolution at this time.

If you want to be automatically notified once the issue is resolved, submit a ticket via our support portal - https://www.paypal.com/mts and share the ticket reference here

Apologies for any inconvenience

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi @LeonardChallis

Unfortunately this is a known issue that our developers are working to resolve at the moment.

No ETA for a resolution at this time.

If you want to be automatically notified once the issue is resolved, submit a ticket via our support portal - https://www.paypal.com/mts and share the ticket reference here

Apologies for any inconvenience

Login to Me Too

DarrylHadfield
Contributor
Contributor

I have a client who is experiencing this issue as well.

He sees anywhere from single-digit, to sometime triple-digit transactions in the course of a day; there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why this occurs.

I've had to modify his IPN listener to identify and error-out these transactions, and then I re-process them manually. It's maddening.

It looks like it's beena  month since PayPal ackowledged this as a "known issue" - where is the situation right now as far as a correction?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hi @DarrylHadfield,

This issue was resolved on the 21st July 2017

Login to Me Too

DarrylHadfield
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, @MTS_Justin, but no it isn't.

My customer continues to receive IPN responses from PayPal as recently as just a minute ago, where 
txn_type=web_accept  - and, more problematically, Item_Name=Shopping Cart   .  

The ITEM_NAME value should be something else entirely - "xxxx Test Code".  There is only one location where the PayPal buy-it-now button transaction originates, so that it would come in as "web_accept" and "Shopping Cart" is a surprise to all parties concerned.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Your referring to a different issue to the one described by the original poster - Please file a ticket within our support portal in relation to this issue at we will notify you once it's resolved - https://www.paypal.com/mts

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.