This merchant account is not permitted to create Merchant Initiated Billing Agreement

CashControl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
Until now, we have always used our PayPal sandbox for a web application and everything ran smoothly.
Now we want to use PayPal in an app as well and have created a sandbox account for ExpressCheckout via Braintree SDK and designed the integration accordingly https://developer.paypal.com/braintree/docs/guides/ec-braintree-sdk/server-side/node.
When we try to make a payment with PayPal, we get the following error message:

Error Domain=com.braintreepayments.BTHTTPErrorDomain Code=2 "client error" UserInfo={com.braintreepayments.BTHTTPURLResponseKey=<NSHTTPURLResponse: 0x2807f15a0> { URL: https://api.sandbox.braintreegateway.com:443/merchants/z46jv69c89z4dv34/client_api/v1/paypal_hermes/... } { Status Code: 422, Headers {
"Cache-Control" = (
"no-cache"
);
"Content-Encoding" = (
gzip
);
"Content-Security-Policy" = (
"frame-ancestors 'self'"
);
"Content-Type" = (
"application/json; charset=utf-8"
);
Date = (
"Thu, 12 Aug 2021 10:10:18 GMT"
);
"Strict-Transport-Security" = (
"max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains"
);
"Transfer-Encoding" = (
Identity
);
Vary = (
"Accept-Encoding, Origin"
);
"X-BroxyId" = (
"e9088ef7-d985-4423-9765-f977f7b30c4b"
);
"X-Content-Type-Options" = (
nosniff
);
"X-Frame-Options" = (
SAMEORIGIN
);
"X-XSS-Protection" = (
"1; mode=block"
);
"paypal-debug-id" = (
94af36e31cca4
);
"referrer-policy" = (
"strict-origin-when-cross-origin"
);
"x-download-options" = (
noopen
);
"x-permitted-cross-domain-policies" = (
none
);
"x-request-id" = (
"e9088ef7-d985-4423-9765-f977f7b30c4b"
);
"x-runtime" = (
"0.620855"
);
} }, NSLocalizedFailureReason=client error, com.braintreepayments.BTHTTPJSONResponseBodyKey=<BTJSON:0x280aeec80 value:{
error = {
debugId = 94af36e31cca4;
errorDetails = (
{
message = "This merchant account is not permitted to create Merchant Initiated Billing Agreement";
name = "REFUSED_MARK_REF_TXN_NOT_ENABLED";
}
);
errorMessage = "Authorization error --- REFUSED_MARK_REF_TXN_NOT_ENABLED:This merchant account is not permitted to create Merchant Initiated Billing Agreement";
errorName = "AUTHORIZATION_ERROR";
paypalHttpStatus = 403;
};
}>}
The PayPal Merchant ID is: YRPE7TAWKPA34

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

deepakmaurya
New Community Member

@MTS_Justin Can you please Enable the reference transactions for my sandbox account? What information do you need?

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

MTS_Justin
Hello,

As per the returned error "REFUSED_MARK_REF_TXN_NOT_ENABLED" which indicates reference transactions were not enabled on the sandbox account being used to process the request.

I've enabled reference transactions on the sandbox account, so please make a new attempt.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

Gustavv
New Community Member

Good day. We are having the exact same issue. Could perhaps help us?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

Please share a copy of the API response you received back and the merchant id for your sandbox account so I can review it.

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

alvarolb
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, I need to enable reference transactions on my account, but it seems impossible. I talk to support via Message Center or email, and they redirect me to Merchant support. But merchant support response is that I should talk to support. It seems that nobody knows what I need, so, I do not know what else I should do, or who I should talk. Any help @MTS_Justin !? Thanks!

alvarolb_0-1647541054178.png

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

Reference transactions are not enabled on PayPal accounts by default and need to be requested for your account if you're interested in using the functionality provided by this product.

I cannot enable reference transactions for "live" or "production" accounts, only for sandbox testing accounts.

You would need to contact our customer service team with this type of request.

https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us

Thanks !

Login to Me Too
Solved

deepakmaurya
New Community Member

@MTS_Justin Can you please Enable the reference transactions for my sandbox account? What information do you need?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

Reference transactions should be enabled on all sandbox accounts by default.

If you attempt a reference transaction and experience an error message, please let me know the error message and share the "merchant id" for your sandbox account.

Details on how to retrieve the merchant id for a sandbox account can be found in thread pinned to the top of this forum titled "how to report a sandbox issue".

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

videostew
New Community Member

@MTS_Justin 

Hi, I have the same problem on live and the error messages are below.

$response: stdClass Object
(
    [name] => AUTHORIZATION_ERROR
    [debug_id] => 5861388a8c59
    [message] => Authorization error
    [information_link] => https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/api/#AUTHORIZATION_ERROR
    [details] => Array
        (
            [0] => stdClass Object
                (
                    [name] => REFUSED_MARK_REF_TXN_NOT_ENABLED
                    [message] => This merchant account is not permitted to create Merchant Initiated Billing Agreement
                )

)

)

merchant ID: YQE5DEDFSRSPN

Can you help me out with the issue?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

The debug id provided is from a request made within our production environment rather than our sandbox testing environment.

We cannot enable reference transactions on production accounts as noted above, you need to reach out to our customer service team to determine if your account is eligible to use this feature.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.