Receiving 500 Internal Server Error with basic js workflow

Vioworld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i'm receiving a 500 Server error most of the time with a basic integration of the paypal buttons - and therefore checkout.

Everything looks ok until this request (ordernumber is always different but not valid when it comes to a 500):

https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/webapps/hermes/api/order/*****/capture

It returns a 500 :

{"ack":"error","message":"Unhandled api error","meta":{"calc":"14a1a10ed47d3","rlog":"ypXqGXIrJLbuliO3bbBEWAdlN7trlfNi1o5Fq7nPVnA%2Bf1qHYgKE6Asd1fbHd%2Bex%2FIzqYptnS7aaaFdnAz%2BPiQ_16915871fa7"},"server":"1-P8TMckWiIkytlHVM2u4l4kYhEIbZJr0J6CSbkY03JF4VkBdPWL5JvihWIShgwJI-FS-q-YCh7eIFOERddRcfTrS_aJO1iRr3-vXGLyu7FPKs3BdvZ0muskcYG8iKgcw9O5rWP2WcMRa4dsd6lBdsp5mlDLA5W1qoxoEmbG3Jq6Ksi_hGhxJJr87Ivy9BQEFgbrLvC0SG3BeftpzgEHQWQRhDWAXD7MsuII5IQOXklKlxUF73gIRniVgNFB4NU4"}

Merchant-ID: 6RY3V5ZAV5558

Is there an issue with the sandbox or is there anything wrong with the implementation ? (which is unlikely since it's practically the sample code)

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

trasappdev
New Community Member

I'm having really bad time with this.

Any tips?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

shacatan
Contributor
Contributor

I have users (less than 1%) that are experiencing this as well on production. I realize the OP specified the sandbox environment but I thought I'd try adding to this post since the issues seem similar and error in the response is the same. Unfortunately I have no additional details I can add to help figure out what's going on here. A similar post (https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/SDKs/Sandbox-Account-Error-Order-could-not-be-captured/td-p/1761...) I found suggested that users may need to log out and then log back into paypal. I'll report back here if that fixes the issue.

It would be nice if a paypal engineer commented on the status of this issue -- waiting for more info, looking into the logs and trying to reproduce, etc.

Merch ID: V5UX5DWTG5PCC

paypal_order-could-not-be-captured.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-15 at 2.46.54 PM.png

Login to Me Too

forchel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
I've integrated the PayPal Buttons with the JavaScript SDK successfully. It worked fine until I've started using another account. So basically I've changed the Client ID and the Client Secret and afterwards I've got a problem with the authorization call.
I have no glue what this error is all about and what really the problem is.

My developer console says:

Request:

POST https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/smart/api/order/9KB06038CX6145245/authorize

Response:

{"ack":"error","message":"Unhandled api error","meta":{"calc":"7ac6e872366ff","rlog":"rZJvnqaaQhLn%2FnmWT8cSUueWscmrtUHe5Y1Bd%2FeqyvyOTq66rSXAcoHt23K4aX7r7RV0T%2BAtZVLHG%2FvY24WQLvGzbxfzUt6q%2FVJmM6qn12U_173fc4bba77"},"server":"UDxRVa4CiPYyuolZUoVcBoF7pS0jsZBktyB1_PVEmsUpm-w0ugKrLFeDmysyz6Gh2Q5Rn73jDS83BUZh9X8RfxVvxHDp5EqRrOFiXdnzJncaEVGqnI2ja___HofXrl0S5J_uwEgBKmSomcB27xsnTOjOTJQYYYNfYIOZI5ecLI9n1mQJ6Ooc_Ze_0GlP6eE_Kpoq1Fm9tkKkLYaty7OKDosmnRu_9ib0oVDSQV-XwwS9rJfkFLQLntdTZSnKNzrIPSylgPeJu3b6XVZ6z-cnhG"}

Could somebody give me a hint what to do?
Thanks.

Login to Me Too

probsemail
Contributor
Contributor

I get exactly the same issue and I can't find any help...

Login to Me Too

dforchel
Contributor
Contributor

Neither do I. I contacted the support last week and a friendly employee told me that he had passed the problem on to the internal team (developer team? who knows) last week. So far, however, he has not received an answer.

Login to Me Too

probsemail
Contributor
Contributor

I'm surprised this has been going on for months and so little people are complaining.

been trying javascript SDK as well as the REST API and i'm getting the same error on both.

{\"name\":\"INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR\",\"details\":[{\"issue\":\"INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR\",\"description\":\"An internal service error has occurred.\"}],\"message\":\"An internal server error has occurred.\",\"debug_id\":\"b768c438819b5\",\"links\":[{\"href\":\"https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#error-INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR\",\"rel\":\"informatio..."}]}"

such a useful error message as well!

Login to Me Too

MTS_Stefan

Hello Everyone,

We are sorry for the late reply to this thread.
HTTP 500 / internal errors are thrown when:

- Request sent to us cause an unexpected error

- Requests sent to us, hit a problem on our end.

On sandbox, that is more common, sadly, as the sandbox is also our sandbox.

By default, for example in live, when a 500er is thrown, we use asynchronous flows to still process the request and usually it completes later on (later is defined as seconds). However the initial response to the merchant account is that 500er. Best then is checking via GET calls, a few seconds later, if the action was completed such as is the transaction now completed, refunded etc.

You can use unique request headers in your API calls, that way no double refund or execute can occur. 

As for one merchant, in this thread, the issue was caused by an unconfirmed email address, when the account was created via the developer portal, the email was not confirmed which then let to the 500er. It should have thrown a different, readable error, but did not due to something on our end. But that issue is resolved.

If you have 500er on a constant base, such as my example mentioned here, then it is advised to contact us via a ticket and to provide the API caller sandbox account as well as the debug ID, the latter should not be older than a week. We can then take a closer look with you.

I hope this helps.

Stefan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.