REST API returning invalid_client

TeoML
New Community Member

Hello!

I am attempting to test my first Paypal checkout application, following the guide. I am able to make test transactions on my site OK, but when I attempt to verify those transactions with the REST API (via Nodejs), I am returned  HttpError: {"error":"invalid_client","error_description":"Client Authentication failed"}.

I have attempted the following fixes:
 - verified that I am using sandbox credentials and that the app is reaching out to the sandbox environment

- "cycled" my app secret a few times as I saw a post here on the board saying that that can resolve similar issues

- successfully used my sandbox 'personal' account to make a credit card payment through checkouts to verify accounts work

- enabled "payment pro" option on my sandbox merchant account as I saw a post that this may resolve similar issues

- attempted to login to paypal with the sandbox merchant account to see if I need to do setup from that account rather than my own - pw not accepted
 - checked the sandbox merchant's credentials on the site, they pointed to the client and secret that I am currently using so that seems to be correct.

Without more information or an account rep to reach out to I am totally blocked here 😞

Any help?

Thanks,
T

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

MTS_Jennifer

Hello,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Merchant Technical Support Community.

If you are 100% certain that you are using the correct Sandbox Credentials and pointed to the Correct Sandbox Endpoint and you continue to receive invalid client the issue could be related to attempting a Direct Credit Card payment through Rest API.

I apologize, however, Direct Credit Cards through Rest API Payments was deprecated for new integrations a few years back, and the error message of invalid client id is the error that is returned when attempting a Direct Credit Card through Rest API, when it is not setup.

At this time if you need Direct Credit Cards for an app, we are recommending Braintree Direct. They have a node.js SDK available.

Thank you,

Jennifer

PayPal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.