PayPal Express Checkout - Guest Error - "Contacting the merchant to update your shipping address"

jelroddev
New Community Member

Environments:

PayPal Express (js)

Sandbox and Production

First noticed: Today. Software has been in production for a few months.

Issue:

In both sandbox and production environments, when a user is attempt to pay as a guest with a credit card, an error occurs after submitting.

In the paypal express popup, the message appears as ""Contacting the merchant to update your shipping address". Underneath that in obscured text it reads "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later."

My services do not require shipping, and I have the paypal express configured to that extent. 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

ARC12345
New Community Member

I provide an online product and do not ship anything. but my customers get the shipping address error when they try and pay for my online app .

it is costing my business money, and PayPal do not answer their phone - I waited for 2 solid hours on hold, and did not get a live person.

Solution - move to Stripe.

Login to Me Too

egalot
Contributor
Contributor

This just started happening to us after months without problems. No code/configuration changes have been done yet this problem is now preventing customers from subscribing to our service. Very frustrating.

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @egalot,

I apologize for the inconvenience, I suggest submitting a ticket with our Merchant Technical Support teams to look into why your solution has changed. 

Thanks,

Christina 

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Login to Me Too

egalot
Contributor
Contributor

I have already done that and I have not received an answer. This has severely hindered our ability to enroll new customers. I was hoping to get an answer here.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Carlos

@jelroddev Could you please provide the source code and the URL of the error page? To view source code simply right click on the error page and scroll down to "view source" (for most browsers). A long string of code will appear. Simply copy and paste the entire string (it can be long) and provide it here. Maybe once we have that we can decode the issue.  

Login to Me Too

egalot
Contributor
Contributor

MTS_Carlos

By chance are you using Payment Data Transfer with this guest Express Checkout flow? Also, are you able to replicate in live? It's possible that return and cancel URL's may not be provided in your request. To be sure, I would advise to file a support ticket at https://www.paypal-support.com.

Login to Me Too

egalot
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Express Checkout flow works in both sandbox and production but regular check out hangs after prompting for login. I have created a ticket with Paypal Technical Support. I also gave them credentials to the system so they can see the error occurring, but they have yet to offer any solutions. Since I have already lost hope on this ever being resolved via support, I completed a different integration that actually works and does not use those javascript rendered buttons. It relies on the "approval_url" that is supplied when a billing agreement is created. What I do is launch my own pop window, control its state as much as possible to emulate what the "PayPal buttons" used to do. Using this technique, everything works and I don't have to rely on any javascript libraries.

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, have you found any solution?

Thank you so much

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.