Missing Payer Address with Orders API V2 / Sandbox

tiefstapler
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am setting up a payment integration with PayPal Checkout Button and orders API v2, which I test in the sandbox environment.

When an order is completed, the API (/v2/checkout/orders) returns a valid order, but I do  not completely receive the payer address.

Payer address look like this:

"payer": {
        "name": {
            "given_name": "Peter",
            "surname": "<removed>"
        },
        "email_address": "<removed>",
        "payer_id": "HEU6X43KU231",
        "address": {
            "country_code": "DE"
        }
    },

but the https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#definition-payer says that the payer should also contain:

• address_line_1,
  • address_line_2,
  • admin_area_1,
  • postal code.

I would like to use this information to send an invoice to the customer after payment.

As a workaround I could also ask for the information in the dialog in our part of the order process (in our GUI, before checkout), but as we use paypal plus to enable other payment methods it would be a very bad user experience to enter the same data twice.

Maybe it only occurs in the Sandbox environment and not in production? My Sandbox Accounts (which are configured for buying stuff in the sandbox) only do have a country Code and no other address information when I take a look at via my paypal dashboard/sandbox. Maybe that is the reason why the information is empty, but I could not identify where to add the address information in the sandbox account. In my opinion it is essential to be able to test this feature in the  test environment / sandbox.

Do you have a clue how to fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

MTS_Justin

Hello,

I've tested this today with two new sandbox accounts, creating a V2 order with one and approving with the other and then capturing the order and the payer object returned in the capture API response included the complete shipping address.

Create Order : https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#orders_create

Redirect buyer to "approve" URL to approve the transaction

Capture Order :

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/orders/v2/#orders_capture

Response :

"shipping": {
"name": {
"full_name": "removed"
},
"address": {
"address_line_1": "1 Main St",
"admin_area_2": "San Jose",
"admin_area_1": "CA",
"postal_code": "<removed>",
"country_code": "US"
}
},

This is the standard default shipping address provided on sandbox accounts.

"to get the complete payer.address you will need to call your account manager or merchant support and they can enable it for your account if you meet their criteria"

I think they might be referring to the "billing" address rather than the shipping address. The buyer's billing address is not returned by default and does require PayPal to enable this functionality on the account.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

pzauner
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Justin,

thank you for your reply.

Is it possible to activate the function on the developer account? If yes, how do I do that or do I need to contact Paypal for that?

kind regards,

Patrick

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

You shouldn't need to get it enabled for it to work within our sandbox / production environment, it should work automatically for the shipping address.

For the billing address, if you wanted this returned for a live / production account, you would need to request the same from our customer service / business support or account management teams.

Customer Service : https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

pzauner
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

what do you mean by that "You shouldn't need to get it enabled for it to work within our sandbox / production environment, it should work automatically for the shipping address."

I want to test it, because I have to create the invoice with the billing address for the customer. I can read out the shipping address, this works fine, but billing and shipping can be different. Otherwise I need to request it for live / production account and then implement it afterwards. But I think thats not the point.

kind regards,

<removed>

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

For shipping address, it should work without any changes. For the billing address, it needs to be enabled on your account.

I can do this for a sandbox account if you share the merchant id for the sandbox account in which you want it enabled.

If you wanted this returned for a live / production account, you would need to request the same from our customer service / business support or account management teams.

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

vplumbing
Contributor
Contributor

@MTS_Justin Hi Justin, can you help me with this same problem please?
I need to enable billing address in my account.

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hello,

As above, I can do this for a sandbox account if you share the merchant id for the sandbox account in which you want it enabled. You can retrieve the merchant id for a sandbox account by following the instructions provided in the thread pinned to the top of this forum titled "how to report a sandbox issue".

If you wanted this returned for a live / production account, you would need to request the same from our customer service / business support or account management teams.

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

vplumbing
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @MTS_Justin , do you have an email to which I can send the merchant id to (this forum does not support sending direct messages)?
I would rather not share it here. It seems that I can't edit it later to remove the id from my post.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

You can share the merchant id on this forum, it's safe to do so. Direct messaging is disabled for security reasons.

If you wish, you can edit the post after I have responded and remove the id.

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

vplumbing
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @MTS_Justin, please, can you let me know when the process is done so that I can remove my merchant_id.

Thank you again!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.