Limit payment functions to a specific environment

emme-x-x
Contributor
Contributor

After reading lots of documents it's not clear to me if the parameters (e.g. return path) used by IPN, PDT or other services are global to the account or can be set on a per-application basis.

One of my clients uses one paypal account for more than one site. Each site is developed by a different software house and uses a different paypal payment method.

I developed one of the sites and until now I used paypal html parameters. But using that method I get payment notifications only when the buyer clicks on Return to originating site button.

I'd like to implement IPN or PDT or other payment methods that I don't know of but I fear that that can disrupt the payment flow of the other sites that use the same paypal account.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

maxx

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Justin
Hello,

IPN can be specified within the account profile and overridden by passing a specific "notify" URL within the transaction request. The parameter used to override the profile-based IPN URL depends on which integration you've chosen, but it will be detailed within the documentation if you search for "notify".

PDT uses the return URL, either profile-based or transaction-based. As with IPN, you can override by passing a "return" URL within the transaction request and pass the variable "RM" or "Return Method" with a value of "2" (WPS).

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

emme-x-x
Contributor
Contributor

1st of all I don't know why my post ended up in the Sandbox Environment group, I had selected another group.

Anyway...

In my web application I'm using a custom button that when clicked redirects to:

https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr for testing purposes or https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr in production

The following parameters are added to the query url:

cmd="_xclick"
button_subtype="services"
no_note="1"
no_shipping="1"
return=pp_return
rm="2"
cancel_return=pag_cancel
I removed parameters non relevant to this post.

With rm set to 2 I don't get any call to pp_return (I know it's a POST not a GET) but there's no redirect to pp_return either (it is a variable with the url of the return page on my site). After the payment I have to click on the button "Back to the original site".

I used the HTML variables documented here: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/Appx_websitesta...

I suppose one of the parameters is not the right one...

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

In order for return to occur after a payment has been completed, you need to enable "Auto Return" within your account and specify a return URL. You can then override this profile-based return URL by using the variable "return" and a valid URL value.

The variable "RM" only sets the return method being used, so "RM = 2" means POST back to the return URL.

One final thing to note, if the buyer pays without using a PayPal account, there is no automatic return after a few seconds, they need to click on the "return to merchant" link in order to be returned. This is the intended functionality when paying without using a PayPal account.

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.