Is it possible to change IPN URL for existing recurring payment subscriptions?

Tourmeister
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy,

I recently changed my forum software from vBulletin to XenForo. They use different call back URLs for IPN notifications. I am getting the IPN failure warning emails whenever a subscription tries to renew if that subscription was created while I was still using vBulletin. This is resulting in my users making payments but their user accounts on my forum are not being upgraded properly. I have the correct URL set in my IPN settings, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Is there some way I can go in and change the IPN URL for ALL existing subscriptions to the correct address?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hello,

You cannot modify an existing subscription / recurring payment to change the notify URL.

Active subscriptions / recurring payments will use the IPN URL which was active on the account at the time the profile was created. If you want to change the IPN URL to be used, the subscription / recurring payment needs to be cancelled and recreated.

An alternative is to leave the old IPN URL in place and use a HTTP redirect to redirect the IPN data to the new URL.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

garys611
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Did you ever get this issue resolved?

Earlier today, PayPal escalated my ticket because the "regular PP tech support was unable to resolve.

Login to Me Too

Tourmeister
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing. Your post is the first response of ANY kind I have received from posting on this forum.

I have to enable notifications, which lasts for maybe 30 days before it automatically gets disabled. When I get that email, I go back into the settings and enable it again... and again... every month or so. It is very annoying.

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hello,

You cannot modify an existing subscription / recurring payment to change the notify URL.

Active subscriptions / recurring payments will use the IPN URL which was active on the account at the time the profile was created. If you want to change the IPN URL to be used, the subscription / recurring payment needs to be cancelled and recreated.

An alternative is to leave the old IPN URL in place and use a HTTP redirect to redirect the IPN data to the new URL.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

RealSerb
New Community Member

Paypal users have been asking for this feature for a decade now, and Paypal somehow refuses to budge and enable something as simple as this functionality... 

Things change on receiving / business end, URLs and domains change over time and businesses or people rebrand their websites, or drop certain URLs / domains and replace them with new ones... and Paypal just chooses to give all these people a middle finger and ignore them, telling them simply to just ask everyone to re-sign up again on the new URL.

Yeah, as if that won't result in a huge loss of customer base every single time.

Come on Paypal, how hard can it possibly be to enable a simple EDIT functionality for each active recurring IPN?

So disappointing.

That's why I've started pushing my customers off of Paypal and over to services that do allow you to change things like this. You're losing customers for not being flexible at all.

Login to Me Too

eDaddi
Contributor
Contributor

Signed up here for this exact situation, moving from vB to XF.  This is kind of silly they can't fix this.

Has anybody done an .htaccess redirect as suggested?

Login to Me Too

mikeydiamonds
Contributor
Contributor

I setup a 301 redirect as a Cloudflare page rule since that is where I host the DNS settings. It seems to have worked but it took me about a month to figure this out and find this post.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.