In sandbox setup, when making a debit card payment dollars not pounds is displayed ?

SnookerTable
Contributor
Contributor

I am a hobbyist developer and am trying to add a very basic pay pal service in a website, I am just using html form variables, code below:-

<form action="https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" runat="server">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick" />
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="business email">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value=" Payment, For All Invoices Due" />

<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="100" />
<input type="submit" value="Pay all invoices due in one payment" />
<input type="hidden" name="return" value="back to my website">
</form>

It works fine for my purpose, however when you are in the pay pal website the basket shows the price in pounds, and if you pay by pay pal the price again is shown in pounds, but if you pay by a debit card the price is displayed in dollars (I would like it displayed in pounds by default) without having to change it to pounds from the exchange rate link, my personal sandbox account for both my personal and business account is set to GB, just don't understand why it is showing dollars for a debit card payment, have you any idea's please, I even used in my code above 

<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP"> which partly helped ?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MTS_Justin
Hello,

Add the "LC" and "COUNTRY" variables, plus appropriate values to your button code.

LC = Sets the language for the billing information/log-in page only. Default is US.

COUNTRY = Sets shipping and billing country

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/Appx-websitestandard-ht...

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

SnookerTable
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but I have tried the information you gave me and I still have the same issue, here is my full code with your added information:-

<form action="https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" runat="server">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick" />
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="My email address"/>
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP"/>
<input type="hidden" name="lc" value="GB"/>
<input type="hidden" name="country" value="GB"/>
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value=" Payment, For All Invoices Due" />
<input type="hidden" name="amount" value= '<%=Amount %>' />
<input style="color: blue" type="submit" value="Pay all invoices due in one neat payment" />
<input type="hidden" name="return" value="My website return page" />
</form>

when you click on card payment and press continue the number is in dollars. for pay pal and my basket it is in pounds, could it just be a sandbox thing as it gave me a test default card etc ?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

I tested with your code and one of my UK sandbox accounts as the receiver / business and when I click on the debit/credit card without PayPal account option, I'm shown the amount in GBP and the default country in the billing information section is "United Kingdom".

https://snipboard.io/epycAq.jpg

Clear the cache / cookies within the browser you're using, close and re-open the browser and try the button again, you may be seeing cached portions of the checkout.

If the issue persists, please share the merchant id / payer id for the sandbox account which is receiving the payment. Instructions on how to retrieve the merchant id / payer id for your sandbox account can be found in the thread "pinned" to the top of this forum.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

SnookerTable
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for testing my code

I cleared my browser but still get same issue, I did ring up pay pal and they think it will work with a real debit card and not the one the sandbox sets up for me, did you use your real pay pal card, that is probably what the issue is ?

Login to Me Too

SnookerTable
Contributor
Contributor

My display after logging in with my test account says:-

Choose a way to pay

(RADIO BUTTON) Pay Pal balance (GBP)

The bank card platinum rewards
(RADIO BUTTON) Visa Credit ****9742

+ Add a debit or credit card

(button) Continue

Then when I select the radio button for Visa, and press the continue button get:-

Cart at the top right amount in pounds which is correct

But next to pay with Visa have the amount in dollars

Again this is a test debit card only and have been told it should work with a real card

Is that right ?

Login to Me Too

SnookerTable
Contributor
Contributor

After logging into pay pal with my sandbox details I get the following screen:-

PayPal1.jpg

After selecting card payment and pressing continue I get the following screen

PayPal2.jpg

You can clearly see the amount to pay next to the card is in dollars should be pounds any ideas please, is it because I am not using a real card but test card ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.